This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 - small flush on paired board

• Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $3.90
      MP2:
      $20.37
      MP3:
      $5.97
      CO (Hero):
      $8.67
      BU:
      $2.98
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB:
      $4.22
      UTG2:
      $9.30

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6, 5.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BU calls $0.15, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.37) Q, T, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, BU calls $0.25.

Turn: ($0.87) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

River: ($0.87) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, BU raises to $2.58(All-In), Hero calls $1.98.

Final Pot: $6.03.

Results follow:

BU shows a flush, ace high(Ks As).
      Hero shows a flush, queen high(6s 5s).

BU wins with a flush, ace high(Ks As).

I'm not really happy with my call on the river, i guess i could have gotten away from such a smallish flush on paired board. I think i should have put him on a flush draw, because he checked behind on the turn. I dont think he'd just call the flop with two pair or a set, so i def didnt think he had a full house.
      Actually i had him on just a queen during the hand, but there's no way he would have checked that on the turn. I guess i should have taken a time and think about it, i def shouldn't have insta called him.
      What do you think?

Thank you for your feedback. ;)
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Hard to say without reads.

Make no mistake, you will encounter players that specialize in that kind nonsensical reasoning of "haha let's slowplay I don't care about the board being drawy" / "oh shit everything got there I shouldn't have slowplayed, what do I do, I have to shove NOW!", with hands like Qx or KJ in that spot.

It's actually not uncommon for people to check back the turn with a boat, because it looks like you're giving up anyway and since their hand is invulnerable who knows, maybe you hit the flush or a straight on the river and stack off to them. That said, I do agree that he should often raise the flop with sets/two pairs so it's somewhat unlikely.

Overall against a guy with 60bb I don't think it's a big mistake whatever you do on the river, the spazzier he looks overall the more likely I have to call it off anyway on the off-chance he played something like Qx/KJ awfully. If he's tight it's fine to go ahead and fold.

Hope it helps.