[NL2-NL10] NL4 - TP facing check raise on turn

• Donkey111
      Donkey111
      Bronze
      Villain is 19/10/1.7/29/60 (vpip/pfr/ag/wts/w$sd) over 294 hands. Cold call PF:12%

The board is wet but I can't I don't know if villain is capable to semi bluff raise with Ax. Was a check behind better?

PartyGaming - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

Hero (CO): $3.70
      BTN: $6.01
      SB: $4.06
      BB: $1.96
      UTG: $4.28
      MP: $4.21

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero has J:diamond: Q:spade:

fold, MP raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.16, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.38, 2 players) 4:diamond: J:heart: 3:spade:
      MP checks, Hero bets $0.27, MP calls $0.27

Turn: ($0.92, 2 players) 2:spade:
      MP checks, Hero bets $0.66, MP raises to $1.40, fold
  • 4 replies
    • gnawhalak
      gnawhalak
      Bronze
      i guess its a good fold..

a lot of possible hands could beat you..

KJ, AJ, A5
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Howdy,

As played b/f on the turn is fine by me. He doesn't seem overaggressive, loose or spewy, so I think it is safe.

But I like folding pre even more. QJo is not crushing his range and it seems more like borderline as you have to be ready to make folds like these when your TP with your kicker is not good enough and it may not be as easy as it looks.

Good luck!
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Duudalinja
      Howdy,

As played b/f on the turn is fine by me. He doesn't seem overaggressive, loose or spewy, so I think it is safe.

But I like folding pre even more. QJo is not crushing his range and it seems more like borderline as you have to be ready to make folds like these when your TP with your kicker is not good enough and it may not be as easy as it looks.

Good luck!
      Agreed on preflop.

The b/f turn postflop is okay, but when you think about it it's actually a pretty thin valuebet against a guy who probably doesn't open up worse Jx hands from MP, so he needs to actually check/call again there with AK/88 type hands for us to get value. Coupled with the facts that:

1/ it's somewhat suspicious he checked that flop in the first place

2/ a bunch of hands made straights/two pairs on the turn

3/ we're not sure whether he's actually capable of check/raising there with stuff like Ax with or without a flushdraw

It's probably a safer bet to actually check back the turn and reevaluate on the river. If he checks and the river isn't a 5 or an A, we'll have a better chance of getting a hero call out of 88/AK type stuff, and if he donks out we're up against a polarized range of AK hands he turned into bluffs in the end and big hands he somehow slowplayed.

Hope it helps.
    • Donkey111
      Donkey111
      Bronze
      It helped indeed. Thank you all.