First final table and general shenanigans

• CreamyGoodness
      CreamyGoodness
      Bronze
      Made my first final table last nite.

I finished 7th in the $4.40 1000 cap 8max tourney on pokerstars, collected about $60, and it felt great!

I played an OK game, just stayed tight throughtout, didnt get tempted by all those pretty suited connectors etc (i tend to overplay those things). I opened up later in the game to steal some blinds and got my money in whenever I thought I was good. For a change I was usually right!

Ive come close many times before, finishing 12th, 13th etc (tonight I finished 21st of 3996) but this time I made it. Now I got my eyes on the prize.

On a side note, Ive had some success with middle pairs, gettin all in during the early-middle stages of a tourney with 99, TT etc. I usually find Im against AK.
      Any thoughts on this?
  • 2 replies
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      While I don't exactly have a good tip for you (I'm quite the fish myself, you see?), I want to congratulate you on your success :) Quite nicely done, out of how many tourneys was this now?
    • CreamyGoodness
      CreamyGoodness
      Bronze
      Hadi, I honestly couldnt say how many tourneys Ive played, maybe 2 a week for the past year.

That said, those tourneys were/are my training ground. I played my first one like a week after I learned the rules of the game.

I played most of them terribly, calling raises oop with broadway hands like QJo, overplaying some pairs, underplaying others and wondering how I always got beat. Its only in the last 4-6 months (since buying Harringtons books) that Ive started to turn my game around. I also dont have any friends who play as fanatically as I do so I am learning in isolation.

I play alot better in live poker, and have cashed and won in several live small stakes tourneys.
      The thing that gets me with online tourneys is the small stacks and fast blinds common among the small stakes. I found it very hard to play with such a small stack and, to resolve this, I started playing higher stakes tourneys with deeper stacks. Of course, the level of play was higher in these games and I got beat just as bad!