[NL2-NL10] K9o from CO on 9-high flop

• Alficor1
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9, K.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BU folds, SB calls $0.13, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.35) 9, 3, 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, SB raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.85) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80.

River: ($3.45) 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50.

Final Pot: $6.45.

Results follow:

SB shows a full-house, nines full of threes(9h 9c).
      Hero shows two pairs, nines and threes(9s Kh).

SB wins with a full-house, nines full of threes(9h 9c).

I wasn't really sure what to do.. obv he's not going to check-raise me for value with a worse hand, so he was either just bluffing (his turn and river bet kinda looked like a fishy cheapo-bluff) or he had the type of hand he had... I still think i'm an idiot, i didnt have to lose that much on that hand.
      Thanks for answer.
  • 2 replies
    • ragney
      In my opinion most of the regulars won't re-raise flop with a top pair 9. His possible ranges to re-raise were:
      A9/K9 (this should be his minimum range to re-raise you with)
      Pocket (hits his set)
      Any other combos that has a 1:1 odds at the flop, hence he is aiming for some fold equity as well. (flushdraw+gutshot etc)

I would range him like that if I didn't had any data about him.

Turn: Value bet/shove, not much you could have done anymore by than since you'll be commited to the pot.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Just don't give any regular credit for value check/raising top pairs until you catch them do it. You're mostly looking at some draws, two pairs/sets and maybe pure air if he's on the aggressive side.

You should decide on the flop how far you're willing to go against that particular villain and stick to it.

- If he looks very splashy and you've caught him bluffing in common spots before, hollywood-calldown to encourage him bluffing all the way.

- If he's a nit, fold the flop it's not worth it.

- If he's somewhere in-between, call the flop just in case he's willing to check the turn with whatever he has, and fold after that if he continues on the blank turn. Against some people you can call the turn and fold the river, but it a big mistake if you're wrong on the river (like you didn't think he would 3 barrel and yet he shoved A8hh for some reason) so when in doubt just go away on the turn.

As played if you raise the turn and he doesn't fold you're ~dead always.

Hope it helps.