Hilarious study questioning if TaGs make most money !!

• 11 replies
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      The results show that the most successful player types is Semi Loose Passive(pre flop) - Aggressive (post flop). However, there are only 12 players of thattype, and so we are unable to draw strong conclusions.

that says it all
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      They already drew too many hilarious conclusions IMO !!!
    • beedoggy
      beedoggy
      Basic
      Hello drbloody,

Thanks for reviewing my article. I welcome all feedback, though I'm not working on that site anymore.

In what way are the results hilarious? Re-reading it, the conclusion is fairly inconclusive due to the wide standard deviation in resulting BB100's, and because some of the sample sizes are relatively small.

Kind Regards,

beedoggydog
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I would have thought the most successful player type was the player who adapted to the current game and situation?
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Hi beedoggy,

well first you say:

The aim of this analysis is to find the most consistently profitable playertype. Therefore, the figures we are interested in comparing are the LB values -the mean minus two standard deviations.

The results show that the most successful player types is Semi Loose Passive(pre flop) - Aggressive (post flop). However, there are only 12 players of thattype, and so we are unable to draw strong conclusions.

Of course it is impossible to draw strong conclusions, but in the end of the article you contradicted yourself by doing exactly that: :f_confused:

Conclusion

The analysis has shown that player type cannot be used to differentiate between winning and loosing players. Groups of players with tighter and/or more aggressive playing styles will have a tighter range of BB100's, but these ranges will not tend to be higher or lower than each other.

What this means is if you become a tight-aggressive player (as recommended by many books), you are no more likely to win, than if you use another style such as tight-passive. Note that the results in this analysis are only for 9player $1/$2 No Limit Holdem tables at PokerStars.

Excuse my mockery of your article, but how can you make such incorrect and misinforming statements about the TAG style!?

Even with a sample size as small as 1000 for the "Tight Aggressive pre flop/Aggressive post flop" players, how can you come up with a mean value of -1 BB/100, deem that value correct and state that TAGs are no longer winning players !?!? That's what I meant by hilarious.

Regards

dRb
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      well, TAG is the best as long as your not as good post flop, but when your post flop skills are better, the LAG is great. lot of poker book tell TAG because its easy to play, more or less- easy decisions
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      saying TAG is great is just fail.

poker is about ranges, and adjustments.

ranges and adjustments change as format changes.

eg, you do not play 9 max in the same way as heads up

in fact playing a pure TAG style in HUSNGs for example is pretty bad, and will not be profitable long term.

Ive written articles for the likes of unibet and others. While effort has been clearly put into your articles, you need reliable sources imo. the problem with doing your own research without experienced players, preferably those with a deep understanding of math where applicable, means that a lot of your errors carry forward in your research/explanations and pretty much spoil it all.

my $0.02
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      actually that semi loose pre and aggro later on might be the new thing in poker,i read recently in 2p2 i think about few dudes doing something like that and it was working good but we re talkin here 3/6+...

also i would like to add to drbloody,mate if u read something and dont quite understand it,that doesnt make it stupid and also dont forget that the TAG concept became known to many people and so it aint such a sick winning strategy anymore and poker is about evolving/adjusting so semi loose passive maybe just a counter-strategy to the tags at most nowadays reg-filled tables
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      1000 hands tell nothing much really.

even with 100 K hands , its only to tell for one player
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze

also i would like to add to drbloody,mate if u read something and dont quite understand it,that doesnt make it stupid and also dont forget that the TAG concept became known to many people and so it aint such a sick winning strategy anymore and poker is about evolving/adjusting so semi loose passive maybe just a counter-strategy to the tags at most nowadays reg-filled tables

First of all the study was encompassing FR games! Of course we're not gonna play with ~16% PFR 6max & HU.
      Semi loose / aggressive yes, I've experimented alot with my game too...loosening up and adjusting to very tight tables! I totally agree we don't just play according to templates, sure we're ought to be more than creative to win these days.
      I didn't say it was stupid, study was rather without any expertise to it!!
      But Semi loose / passive !!!??? You just cannot expect to win great by being passive post-flop. You can't propagate that style of play if you know a thing or two `bout poker, that's what is hilarious to do.
      If it is meant to counter TAGs than most of those tags will read you like an open book once you have a strong hand and want to draw some money in pots! Look it from your perspective of play, if you use stats for example; isn't it darn easiest to fold against passives !?

Post flop passive style wont counter anything, except counter you from your winnings.

Regards
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      saying TAG is great is just fail.

poker is about ranges, and adjustments.

ranges and adjustments change as format changes.

eg, you do not play 9 max in the same way as heads up

my $0.02
      Sir,

study was encompassing only FR games! Of course there are different formats of the game, and ranges and adjustments. WE happen to have heard of that :O btw

Adjusting pre-flop ranges is great VS games too tight and can be productive with good post-flop skills ofc.

But how does one propose playing passive post-flop will do any good at any format of the game....