UTG ($3.18)
      UTG+1 ($2.19)
      UTG+2 ($6.81)
      MP1 ($10.95)
      MP2 ($2)
      Hero ($5.43)
      BTN ($5.02)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: Q:spade:

fold, fold, fold, MP1 calls $0.02, fold, Hero raises to $0.10, fold, fold, fold, MP1 calls $0.08

FLOP ($0.23) J:heart: 9:club: 5:heart:

MP1 bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.26, MP1 calls $0.22

TURN ($0.75) J:heart: 9:club: 5:heart: K:club:

MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.57, MP1 calls $0.57

RIVER ($1.89) J:heart: 9:club: 5:heart: K:club: 2:club:

MP1 checks, Hero bets $1.50, MP1 raises to $10.02 (AI), Hero folds

MP1 wins $4.57

Looking over the hand, I guess I should've just folded or called the flop. Then c/f turn/river
  • 2 replies
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Howdy,

If you have 2820 hand sample about him you should have some info about his donking tendencies and at least some idea what does it mean - drawing hand, made hand, bluff. So assuming he is capable of folding his donk you may raise as he could have FD you are ahead of, Jx you have outs against, 9x/5x/low pp he may fold to raise if he ever does that.

I'd fold turn. Yes, K itself is a good card to barrel, but problem is that opens one more draw, completes QT, he may have KhXh and how sure you are he is going to fold Jx/9x here?

On river I'd just check back. 2c completes backdoor and I doubt he is still folding Jx.

There is generally one rule I try to stick lately - don't bluff barrel fish, it may just become damn expensive when he pulls through with bottom pair.

Good luck!
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Duudalinja
      Howdy,

If you have 2820 hand sample about him you should have some info about his donking tendencies and at least some idea what does it mean - drawing hand, made hand, bluff. So assuming he is capable of folding his donk you may raise as he could have FD you are ahead of, Jx you have outs against, 9x/5x/low pp he may fold to raise if he ever does that.

I'd fold turn. Yes, K itself is a good card to barrel, but problem is that opens one more draw, completes QT, he may have KhXh and how sure you are he is going to fold Jx/9x here?

On river I'd just check back. 2c completes backdoor and I doubt he is still folding Jx.

There is generally one rule I try to stick lately - don't bluff barrel fish, it may just become damn expensive when he pulls through with bottom pair.

Good luck!
      Agreed overall.

You shouldn't really expect him to minbet/fold much on that flop , unless he's the type to just minbet donk everything in which case he might let go off K2o or something. You should fully expect to see him minbet/call most of the time (if he minbet/3bet just pitch it) so you're actually playing AQ-high as a semibluff that can also be ahead of some of his range. It's definitely profitable if played well on later streets, mostly that means valuebetting when you improve and keeping in mind that whatever he minbet/called the flop with he's unlikely to fold it on the turn.

Here the turn strengthened his range like Duudalinja said, he could now have a straight and some top pairs hands that he's never folding, and he's still not going to fold Jx/9x/draws ever. So the turn is usually a check back, and you can probably fold the river to a lead if you don't have a river on his donking range there.

As played he checked again and he's still not ever going to fold Jx+, sometimes 9x will hero call, sometimes he has a straight or a flush, so really you should just check it back and hope he shows some 87/hearts busts that you beat.

Hope it helps.