This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Interesting Issue

• chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      I'm playing SnG and sometimes I get situations where my opponents will be collectively super-super-super-super-super-super-loose passive pre-flop. Such as they'll try limp with a hand and when I raise to 10xBB, they stay in (4+ to the flop in lots of situations).

Now what sort of effect should this have on my play-style? I find this the most annoying style in the world to play against, and I'm really REALLY stumped as to what to do.

This is because in the 1/3 times I actually DO hit the flop, I have NO idea whatsoever whether my TPTK is good or not, just because of the ridiculous ranges my opponents (collectively) could be on.

I was thinking of tightening my range to JUST QQ+, but then I would get blinded out.

obviously this playstyle from their point of view is retardedly -EV (singularly), but what can I do to beat an ENTIRE table doing it? I'm thinking perhaps put them AI before the flop, but again I'm very wary doing this as if I have more than 1 caller, my odds to win go right down with pretty much any cards..
  • 8 replies
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      make a bigger preflop raise. harrington says, that on a loose table, it can be 5,6 or even 7x the bb.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      HI chenny8888!

I agree with helemaalnicks. Just raise more. Even if 7BB are not enough: raise more. If they have this wide range, you always put money into the pot with a better hand. And that should be your goal.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      In the early levels of a SNG there are no shame in having a QQ+ range yourself, as long as you loosen up when the blinds gets bigger.. You don't wanna risk your whole stack with a medicore hand that early :)

But as already mentioned: When you get a hand - raise it, and raise it alot! Make them pay for their mistakes..

Good luck with it,
      Mugge
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      HI chenny8888!

I agree with helemaalnicks. Just raise more. Even if 7BB are not enough: raise more. If they have this wide range, you always put money into the pot with a better hand. And that should be your goal.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      that's what i was thinking, but then if i do miss the flop and it's still a 3+-way pot, I'm in a lot of trouble.

Might just combine the two.

7xBB is not an issue for me, it's when I have to raise 20+xBB in a non-deep-stack tournament just to isolate (all too common :/)... that's when I get annoyed.

Any thoughts about limping in with some otherwise raising hands to decrease "pot volatility"?
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      7xBB is not an issue for me, it's when I have to raise 20+xBB in a non-deep-stack tournament just to isolate (all too common :/)... that's when I get annoyed.

The more you raise, the worse your opponents' call is. So if you do raise 20*bb, and you get called, well done. I normally pay for potcontrol with my strong aces (AK and AQ), so a small raise with those hands, or a call if someone has raised once already, is fine. But with QQ-AA you certainly want to raise.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      ofc, issue is when i'm holding those "potcontrol" hands. I'm just going to raise max 7xBB with these hands, then if they call and I don't hit, so be it.
    • Tigga
      Tigga
      Bronze
      that question is already answered. There is no problem in raisen up to 10x the BB. but then u have to look at ur stack. if u "just" have 15BB go pre flop all in even with 20xBB u can go all in pre flop against that lose opponent. ur opponents make mathematicaly mistakes by calling u. So its no problem to go all in with a bigger stack then 10xBB
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Yep. I've noticed this on MTT sngs around middle blinds. I had an aboslutly crazy call vs my KK the other day. All in with 3 7 suited, which hit a flush on the flop would you believe.

Meh, make a note and hope to meet him again because I'll gladly play that hand 100 times over with him again :)