Calling All-In fundamental question

• VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I watched this video:

The basic thrust of the video is that you must answer these questions:

1. What odds are you getting?
      2. How risk averse are you?
      3. What is your equity against your opponent's range?

Throughout the example section of the video, there were many statements of the form, "<hand> has <number>% equity against a <number>% range.

Where does this information come from?
      How is it calculated?
      I understand the you need to understand your opponent to estimate his range, but what does a 5% range actually MEAN? The top 5% of the possible 169 hands? That translates to 8.5 hands -- so QQ+? I a 10% range JJ+ and so on?
      Do you adjust for the suited/non-suited?

Are there articles that discuss range % vs what hands are in those ranges?

And finally,
      How do you calculate the equity of one hand against another?
      What is the input data?
      What are the calculations?
      How on earth can you do all this in 15 seconds!!

• 1 reply
    • pzhon
      Hi, I'm glad you watched my video and are trying to put it into use.

To calculate the equity of a hand versus another, or a range, you can use the free program PokerStove. You even do ranges versus ranges, and multiway pots, but those are slower.

Once you have done a few examples, your intuition should improve, and you will be able to estimate equities increasingly accurately. You might also want to remember a few reference situations, such as that KQo might have 47% equity against a 30% button-pushing range. I like to know the equities of various hands against a random hand--if you don't have enough equity against a random hand, then you usually can't call.

Rather than typing a range into PokerStove, I click on the "Player 1" button and then use the graphical interface to select a range. It only takes 3 clicks to select a range like "any pair, any ace (ctrl-click AA), any broadway." As you select a range, you can see the the percentage of all hand combinations represented by that range. For example, JJ+ AK is 3.0% That is 6 combinations for each pair (x4=24), 12 conbinations for AKo, and 4 combinations for AKs, for a total of 40, out of 1326 total combinations. You can also remember the types of hands you see when you select a range by percentages in SNG Wizard.

With practice, you can do some calculations at the table well enough to make some decisions. Another use for this procedure is to figure out what went wrong if you get a decision wrong according to SNG Wizard (after you adjust the default ranges to more appropriate ones) or ICM Trainer. Did you overlook what odds you were getting? Did you underestimate or overestimate your risk aversion? Did you have have surprisingly much or surprisingly little equity against your opponent's range? This procedure can help you to make the right decision rapidly the next time.