Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $6.9
      CO:
      $4.56

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.86 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7:diamond: , 7:club:
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, CO calls $0.15, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.37) Q:heart: , 7:heart: , 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.37, CO calls $0.37.

Turn: ($1.11) T:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.11, CO calls $1.11.

River: ($3.33) K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO raises $2.93 (All-In), Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $3.33

hello!.. generally the table is playing tight...

hit a set on the flop.. bet potsize till the turn..

i know my check on the river was totally wrong after betting pot size on flop and turn..

but i just don't know what to do when the river came possibly completing his flush or straight..

what should have been the best play? was my fold correct or should i have called?

thanks!
  • 4 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Villain's calling range on the river is going to be wider than his betting range when checked to especially with the flush getting there, so check/calling is the worst option except against complete insane villains who will just jam anything and everything when checked to.

That leaves check/folding if you believe he very often has the flush and/or will fold less than flushes to a shove from you, and shoving yourself if you think he possibly played lower sets/QT/KQ that way and is capable of going broke still with them on that river. Personally I'm usually shoving in doubt, people call too much and he has lots of Qx in his range even if he looks somewhat tight.

Hope it helps.
    • gnawhalak
      gnawhalak
      Bronze
      thanks zerg!

i would have never thought of shoving.. now i'll surely consider that option..

.. now after giving it some thought.. would you think a blocking bet would be a good choice too? .. then i could fold if he raises..
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      I'm not a fan of the blockbet here. it doesn't really achieve anything a check doesn't. He's probably calling/folding with his checking back range and jamming whatever he jammed here, only you'll be getting pretty much priced in.

Also there's not many hands in his range that call a smaller bet but not a shove, so you're losing value there
    • gnawhalak
      gnawhalak
      Bronze
      thanks!