[NL2-NL10] Jacks vs. minraise preflop, potsizer on low flop

• Alficor1
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with J, J.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, 2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.25, CO calls $0.25, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.82) 9, 3, 4 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.70, CO folds, Hero raises to $1.40, MP3 raises to $2.37, Hero calls $0.97.

Turn: ($5.56) J (2 players)

River: ($5.56) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $5.56.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, jacks(Jd Js).
      MP3 shows a pair of aces(Ah Ad).

Hero wins with three of a kind, jacks(Jd Js).
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

The usual deal, everything starts with his preflop range.

If he's min3betting often he has crap, 4-bet for value to like $0.8 he'll call with worse. If he min3bet/jams, you can possibly find a fold but most of the time given his stacks you'll have to reluctantly call it off. As played it's fine on the flop with that assumption.

If he's rarely min3betting or you haven't seen him do it yet, chances are his preflop range has your JJ smoked quite often, so you're playing mostly for set value and on the off-chance he does have crap sometimes. Don't forget it once you flop an overpair, that doesn't suddenly change the fact that all the pairs he does that with preflop were likely better than yours already. Personally I believe him overall so I'd fold the flop.

Hope it helps.
    • fusionpk
      You wouldn't stack off with JJ pre, so why stack off on undercard board? you only get called by better here really.

Need stats to assess his min3b but you have to decide on his range and stick with it, i prefer c/c flop rather than c/r, i think you lose less playing the hand a little slower, you allow him to barrel his other random hands and you can re-evaluate, obv on turn u r c/r'ing for value.

Edit: Didn't notice stacks were short my advice was more for full stack.