[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH Rush - AKo

• StaticMoth
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, K.
      Hero raises to $0.35, MP3 raises to $1.00, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.65.

Flop: ($2.15) A, 7, 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1.00, Hero calls $1.00.

Turn: ($4.15) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($4.15) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $8.78(All-In), MP3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.15.

Villain - 17/13/4AF/6% 3bet/Cbet: 64% (sample 263 hands)

I guess he pretty much has QQ there (although his 3bet@MP is 20%), so taking that into consideration, should I donk turn smallish perhaps? or bet like 1/4 pot on the river?

Although was hoping to get a call from AJ/AQ maybe on the river since his MP3bet range is 20%
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Could just be because of the small hand sample that his 3bet% from MP is quite high. Even if it was indeed 20%, it might not include hands like AQ/AJ, maybe he calls with that and 3bets with AK/QQ+/tons of trash, which is generally the way you want to do it against average tags that fold to 3bets a lot.

Now you can exploit that two different ways.

The easiest is to just 4-bet a lot as soon as you pick up a hand with blockers to premiums, because his 90+% of his 3-bet range cannot stand 4-bet, so he'll just fold a lot and let you pick up dead money, and sometimes he might talk himself into 5-bet shoving hands that even AK is doing great against. Be careful with that tho, the nittiest of those guys will still religiously 3bet/fold until they pick up a hand that crushes AK.

The other one relies on him being incapable of multiple streets of aggression postflop with air, which you'll find that "light 3-betting nits" often fit this description: they started as nits and picked up some bluff 3betting, but as soon as it gets really costly they revert back to their nitty ways. That means you can actually just call the 3-bet with hands that have decent postflop value against "c-bet and done" opponents, like pairs and big A-high hands that you can float the c-bet with comfortably, with the intention of folding the turn if he bets and bluffing the river if they check back. It's a lot dicier to pull off correctly, but it pays off bigger, you get the picture.

As played I wouldn't shove the river because of how nitty I think he really is behind his light 3-betting mask he puts on, I think we have a small chance of getting him to call much of anything so I'd make a smaller valuebet hoping he can't resist the pot odds, probably around half pot.

Hope it helps.