How to improve at MTTs?

• winmaster76
      winmaster76
      Bronze
      I am a FL player right now, but was looking at perhaps changing to MTT. I was reading the articles on MTTs, and noticed that it only goes up to silver, and that there are only seven articles in total.

In the basic articles it says to use the BSS for the early stage of the tournament and the SNG strategy for the middle and late stages of the tournament.

My question is when a player gets up to the level of a gold member, how do they improve their MTT play. Do they study the BSS strategy to improve early stage, and the SNG strategy for middle/late stage, or does PokerStrategy not offer further training in MTTs?
  • 3 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey fella

There are a decent number of videos of both MTT concepts/theory and hand history replays at the gold level and above. This, and the hand eval forums is where the learning migrates to after the articles. There's plenty of stuff to get your teeth into there.

Hope this helps.

:f_grin:
    • Tiltberger
      Tiltberger
      Bronze
      i can recommend to all videos from jonathan little and aaron lambert

gold videos
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/#contenttype=0&gametype=8&tablesize=0&languages=en&levels=gold&lowerlimit=0&upperlimit=100&ob=date&od=desc&page=1&rpp=10

silver videos
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/#contenttype=0&gametype=8&tablesize=0&languages=en&levels=silver&lowerlimit=0&upperlimit=100&ob=date&od=desc&page=1&rpp=10
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      me thinks its a combination of your stamina and BR that should be improved on any level of MTTs :) .

Once you have trained enough ICM, it's really about putting hours in, since in most tournaments you can't expect much $$$ up until final table, which is anywhere from 2 to 7 hours away from start (Not talking about MTT SnGs, which are around 3 hours long).

Improve both of those, play more tourneys and the results will be there, except when on downswing. Play lower BI SNGs then or let poker rest for a few days.

In tournaments below 22$ BI (haven't played higher, so cant really say) with 20-30 people left till bubble donking is still hugely on agenda, even though most people have 10-30BB stacks, with maybe 4-5 with 50+. You cant do anything about losing with premium hands, which you pushed pre-flop against random junk (or flips). In tourneys evey AA,KK,QQ lost to JJ- and Ax will hurt more than in cash too. Somehow I have a feeling that even in weekly 100k-1kk it's still an issue due to hundreds of people coming from cheap satellites.

As to improvement - post hands and play with ICM. Every wrong decision in final stages of MTT is hugely -EV, so if you can somehow find some leaks and improve - you can't really expect much more without getting a private coach. Which is a good idea, if you are running high.
      Watch WSOP, WPT or any other tournament. Recently, it's players making tight and conservative decisions in late stages, as well as playing the board.

Personally, I prefer to play about VPIP 20 until ITM, then tighten even more to 5-6%, unless the table allows for funny business in late positions.