NL/FL, Time Investment etc..

• Arxyn
      Arxyn
      Bronze
      Hello I've been reading a lot of guides and threads and blogs and I have a few questions. I'm sure there is a stickied thread somewhere answering my interrogations but I couldn't find it so I apologize in advance for any redundancy.

I have been learning and playing a lot of Fixed Limit and not No Limit. However it seems like all the blogs I see and most people seem to play No limit.

Is there some place I can view the pro's and con's of FL vs NL?

Can both of these game types be played at high profitable levels?

Which type has the higher skill ceiling cap? Most fish? Most possibility of improving and winning money?

I'm really enjoying Poker and debating investing more seriously into it. I definitely posses the *mental* capabilities and I know I would be able to understand and learn most concepts however I am currently working full time and living with my girlfriend. I can only invest about 20 hours per week on Poker max.

Is this enough time to climb the stakes at a steady pace?

How many hands should I be playing per week? How should my time be distributed between analyzing and playing (I have been doing about 50-50 so far)?

Is there a ventrillo channel on this site where I could meet people to talk to about poker? I lack friends who have this as a hobby and find talking about your thoughts is a great way to learn and can be a big help of motivation.

How much grinding does it normally require to achieve a level where you can average around 10$ per hour? Is the skill level for that amount of money extremely high or can it be achieved in 2-3 months given my time restrictions?

Should I be focusing on one game type or learning multiple ones? FL, NL, SnG, Heads up, Tournaments?

Is there somewhere I can view the definitions of the Poker analysis terms used in Elephant? I've found out which some mean by reading the forums but still don't know most of them.

Oh and currently I can't really view coaching lessons as I'm working 1-9 which corresponds when most coachings are, however my schedule should change to be more accommodating of this soon.

I know I have a lot of questions but these have been annoying me for a while and I want to clear things up in my head a little.

Thanks in advance! :)
  • 4 replies
    • winmaster76
      winmaster76
      Bronze
      There's a silver article in the FL section which compares and contrasts the two, it's called From Fixed Limit to No Limit. You're a bronze but perhaps you are close to silver to be able to read it.
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello Arxyn,

One of our articles compares the different types of poker. Have a look here:
      Which Type of Hold'em Poker Is Best For You?

Which type has the higher skill ceiling cap? Most fish? Most possibility of improving and winning money?

In my opinion No Limit.

How many hands should I be playing per week? How should my time be distributed between analyzing and playing (I have been doing about 50-50 so far)?

Play as much as you like. There is no maximum as long as you have a good balance between analysing and playing. 50 : 50 sounds good.

Should I be focusing on one game type or learning multiple ones? FL, NL, SnG, Heads up, Tournaments?

At the beginning you should focus on one game type. As it is much easier to learn one type instead of 2 or more.

Is there somewhere I can view the definitions of the Poker analysis terms used in Elephant?

You should find most of the terms in our glossary.

I hope this answers a lot of your questions. If you have further ones, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
      Hannes
    • Arxyn
      Arxyn
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks for all the great answers. I've decided to go and invest all my time into no limit. So far it's working great, I'm up 16$ in about two days.

I lost my first all in a 2$ all in with pocket AA vs AKs, he hit a flush. Kind of frustrating but I've won much more to make it up :)

Quick questions here though.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1535/1/

I don't want to doubt the experts here at Pokerstrategy but I'm curious to know why it recommends we fold low suited connectors on blinds if no one called but to play them in late position?
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Arxyn
      I don't want to doubt the experts here at Pokerstrategy but I'm curious to know why it recommends we fold low suited connectors on blinds if no one called but to play them in late position?
      You play them in late position if other players called. So you play in a pot with a lot of players, which is easy to play with your suited connectors.
      Flush Draw or Straight Draw -> Odds and Outs
      Nothing or just one pair -> check/fold

If all players fold and you are in the big blind you already have won the pot.
      If all players fold and you are in the small blind you fold. You don't want to play out of position versus just one player (at least at the beginning of your poker career, later on you will improve your game and maybe start playing this hand in this spot.)

Best regards,
      Hannes