SSS question

• thebaptist333
      thebaptist333
      Bronze
      Hi, my name is Simon and I'm relatively new to this forum. I've been playing poker for about 2 years now and have had some mixed success. Recently I've decided to get back to basics and I'm playing a very strict SSS on PS. I started with a roll of $150 and I've played about 5000 hands so far on NL10 and I'm down to about $120 (I've cleared a $10 bonus in that time so I'm actually down $40).

I've recorded some of my sessions and analysed them on poker tracker but I can't seem to find too many mistakes in my play. I'm sticking to the SHC religiously and my post-flop play is basically c-bet against 1 opponent, fold to bet when I miss and push to a re-raise when I hit.

AK seems to be the hand where I loose the most and here's my question. The SHC says to push when a bet is made AFTER you and you have AA, KK, or AK. The way I understand it, a bet after you is a re-raise because you shouldn't enter the pot without raising. A re-raise in this situation usually means he's holding a PP (AA, KK, or QQ in most cases). At best it's a split pot or a race; most of the time I seem to be way behind to AA or KK. The opponent is rarely holding a hand like AQ, AJ or KQ. Even 22 is almost 50/50.

Can someone please explain to me how playing AK in this situation is plus ev.

Thank you.
  • 4 replies
    • SamThomas
      SamThomas
      Bronze
      I'd also like an explanation for this because it confused me when I read the pdf.
      The article says to push after a re-raise with TT and above. It seems like we would always be behind following a re-raise preflop.
      Thankyou.
    • thebaptist333
      thebaptist333
      Bronze
      is there a answer to this please? I've since moved to BSS again and I'm doing much better, but I'd still like an answer if possible.
    • lozz08
      lozz08
      Bronze
      I believe it is because TT+ has at least acceptable equity against the top 10% of hands. Even if a lot of the time it is a coinflip or worse, the added fold equity when you push is meant to be +ev overall.

I also believe SSS is not the best strategy for a player of 2+ years of experience. good move to BSS. It works at the micros. Just make sure you're playing NL5 with that roll and not skipping to NL10.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      if you raised to 4bb and got raised, obviously the equation change since those 4bb ain't yours anymore hence you need FAR less than 50% equity most of the times to be profitable.
      Hence that outweighs the coinflipping argument and I am fairly sure AK is one of my biggest winners in my Hold'em manager with a 80k sample