This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

SSS question

• thebaptist333
      thebaptist333
      Bronze
      Hi, my name is Simon and I'm relatively new to this forum. I've been playing poker for about 2 years now and have had some mixed success. Recently I've decided to get back to basics and I'm playing a very strict SSS on PS. I started with a roll of $150 and I've played about 5000 hands so far on NL10 and I'm down to about $120 (I've cleared a $10 bonus in that time so I'm actually down $40).

I've recorded some of my sessions and analysed them on poker tracker but I can't seem to find too many mistakes in my play. I'm sticking to the SHC religiously and my post-flop play is basically c-bet against 1 opponent, fold to bet when I miss and push to a re-raise when I hit.

AK seems to be the hand where I loose the most and here's my question. The SHC says to push when a bet is made AFTER you and you have AA, KK, or AK. The way I understand it, a bet after you is a re-raise because you shouldn't enter the pot without raising. A re-raise in this situation usually means he's holding a PP (AA, KK, or QQ in most cases). At best it's a split pot or a race; most of the time I seem to be way behind to AA or KK. The opponent is rarely holding a hand like AQ, AJ or KQ. Even 22 is almost 50/50.

Can someone please explain to me how playing AK in this situation is plus ev.

Thank you.
  • 4 replies
    • SamThomas
      SamThomas
      Bronze
      I'd also like an explanation for this because it confused me when I read the pdf.
      The article says to push after a re-raise with TT and above. It seems like we would always be behind following a re-raise preflop.
      Thankyou.
    • thebaptist333
      thebaptist333
      Bronze
      is there a answer to this please? I've since moved to BSS again and I'm doing much better, but I'd still like an answer if possible.
    • lozz08
      lozz08
      Bronze
      I believe it is because TT+ has at least acceptable equity against the top 10% of hands. Even if a lot of the time it is a coinflip or worse, the added fold equity when you push is meant to be +ev overall.

I also believe SSS is not the best strategy for a player of 2+ years of experience. good move to BSS. It works at the micros. Just make sure you're playing NL5 with that roll and not skipping to NL10.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      if you raised to 4bb and got raised, obviously the equation change since those 4bb ain't yours anymore hence you need FAR less than 50% equity most of the times to be profitable.
      Hence that outweighs the coinflipping argument and I am fairly sure AK is one of my biggest winners in my Hold'em manager with a 80k sample