Continuation bet on low flop

• AtonalMonk
      AtonalMonk
      Bronze
      I've only recently started playing the BSS and in the past few days I've been seeing the following happening a few times:

After betting preflop and getting called the flop is full of low cards. I then make a continuation bet of 1/2 to 2/3 the pot, only to get reraised, forcing me to fold. I get the impression that they know i only raise preflop with good hands and then they know i don't have i hand on that flop. I have one confirmed case where my opponent showed his bluff.

Should i not be placing a continuation bet when the flop is full of low cards? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • 4 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi AtonalMonk!

If you are raising with a big pair preflop you would like if they raise you with a bluff. And in the cases where you have a big pair you will win a lot of money. Sometimes it seems that continuation bets don't work. Believe me: in the long run they will pay off. I recommend to read our strategy article about continuation bets: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/13/

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      I suggest at least 2/3 pot cbet every time, the difference in chips between 1/2 and 2/3 is marginal but 1/2 cbet looks really weak especially on ragged flop. I often raise such weak bets on the flop having low pocket pair and I get really good fold equity. So my advice is if u bluff do it like u actually have something (bet standard 2/3 pot not lesser not much more), bear in mind that most of the time u r really ahead just with higher over cards and even if u aren't opponent doesn't have a clue.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Are you committing the sin of betting less with your bluff's and more with your made-hands?
    • AtonalMonk
      AtonalMonk
      Bronze
      Of course i try not to. I had read the article in the strategy section on continuation bets and it recommended betting half the pot in this situation. It made sense making what looks like a value bet, especially since my opponent probably won't have a hand either. So i mixed up my bets, betting between 1/2 and 2/3.