This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Continuation bet on low flop

• AtonalMonk
      AtonalMonk
      Bronze
      I've only recently started playing the BSS and in the past few days I've been seeing the following happening a few times:

After betting preflop and getting called the flop is full of low cards. I then make a continuation bet of 1/2 to 2/3 the pot, only to get reraised, forcing me to fold. I get the impression that they know i only raise preflop with good hands and then they know i don't have i hand on that flop. I have one confirmed case where my opponent showed his bluff.

Should i not be placing a continuation bet when the flop is full of low cards? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • 4 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi AtonalMonk!

If you are raising with a big pair preflop you would like if they raise you with a bluff. And in the cases where you have a big pair you will win a lot of money. Sometimes it seems that continuation bets don't work. Believe me: in the long run they will pay off. I recommend to read our strategy article about continuation bets: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/13/

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Bronze
      I suggest at least 2/3 pot cbet every time, the difference in chips between 1/2 and 2/3 is marginal but 1/2 cbet looks really weak especially on ragged flop. I often raise such weak bets on the flop having low pocket pair and I get really good fold equity. So my advice is if u bluff do it like u actually have something (bet standard 2/3 pot not lesser not much more), bear in mind that most of the time u r really ahead just with higher over cards and even if u aren't opponent doesn't have a clue.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Are you committing the sin of betting less with your bluff's and more with your made-hands?
    • AtonalMonk
      AtonalMonk
      Bronze
      Of course i try not to. I had read the article in the strategy section on continuation bets and it recommended betting half the pot in this situation. It made sense making what looks like a value bet, especially since my opponent probably won't have a hand either. So i mixed up my bets, betting between 1/2 and 2/3.