6 Max

• 10 replies
    • cgoldie
      cgoldie
      Bronze
      Its pretty much the same but you have to be a bit looser and more aggressive. opening with hands like 10Q+/10J+ off, J8+/Q8+ suited, more suited connectors etc becomes more viable. This being said expect to face players who have a bigger range and play it more aggressively compared to full ring.
    • Ectoz
      Ectoz
      Bronze
      Yup,cgoldie is right,i've started 3 betting with weaker hands,try to move donks/fishes (not saying that i aint one :f_cool: ) off theyr hands.I,for example,defend blinds more often in 6max,i play weak connectors if the guy is tight,it switches the focus on your opponent in SH,instead of your hand.For example you cant make auto calls in SH (6max) like you make them in FR (9max).You need to pay more attention.
    • Dakink
      Dakink
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies....

What would be the best reading to learn about 6-Max??

Also after trying a number of varieties of poker, I have decided that cashies are the game for me. Have played FR for Bout 6 months - but one of the books I was reading really enticed me over to try 6-Max. I know it is each to their own, but what are peoples views on 6-max v FR?
    • Tominho89
      Tominho89
      Bronze
      6 max is just for you if you love pain.
    • freespirit47
      freespirit47
      Bronze
      Hi Dakink,

as Tominho said, the variance (and the pain lol) is much higher at 6max, tho many people find it much more entertaining , as it is much more filled with action. But be prepared for much higher swings in a short periods of time :)

I recommend you read Ryan Fee's 6max guide or Poker Blueprint before u decide switching to 6max.

Good luck
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      6-max is the only way to go if you don't like the nitfields of FR.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I swithched to 6max to few weeks ago. And I noticed that I must improve my preflop game a lot. I suck really much now at it :)
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      What's wrong with nits? I love them.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alficor1
      It's hard to learn poker playing against them.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alficor1

There's not much money to be made from nits. Ofcourse it depends on the type of nit.. A nit who will check/fold unless he has top pair or better is easy to steal from ofcourse.. They are predictable ofcourse.. But you know they will have something if they call so your only going to be winning small pots from them most of the time.

Much more profitable to play loose players who will call you down with their bottom pair or gut shot straight draw.