Makin' it to Ivy League

• Jodok
      Jodok
      Bronze
      Hi!

My name's Roman and I wanna start a diary about making my way to a top-international University (Ivy League would be nice ;) ).

Why I'm doing this? - Because i want to keep being motivated and improve my english by writing on a regular basis (yeah, I know my english is awful, but I'll come later to that). If you aren't interested in this - Simply ignore it. And if you find any grammatical mistakes or false words you can tell me of course - cause i really wanna improve. And most important want to tell you something about the researches I make and tell you something whats life like in Austria (especially Vienna)

A little bit about me and my past educational way: In kindergarden the nursery nurses always said I'm the most stupid child they have ever seen and things like that, cause I always kept making stupid things and made tricks and so.
      Then attending to primary school. Things were like before - except of one thing, I suddenly had great grades and always understood things before all the others. I taught myself reading and doing simple multiplications and stuff... I was called the genius - But still there were big problems with my behaviour.
      After that i got to academic high school. Suddenly I wasn't the genius anymore. My mathematical skills still were top, but my language skills were really bad. In German and English I really had problems. But in 4th grade I finally got to a decent level - by hard work in english I improved my skills and got good marks.
      Then I went to a technical school. My thinking back then was like - I like to play computer games and other technical stuff. I'm good at maths and languages aren't too important there. Nowadays I know going to that school was the biggest mistake. I weren't interested in all the stuff we learned there. Especially electrical engineering was a subject i couldn't stand at all. Teachers started hating me because I always prefered going out with friends or girls to going to class. Teachers wanted to kick me out of school cause I miss all the time and when I'm there I take the other pupils mind off things. Well finally they didn't kick me out and i received my graduation.

Then I thought about my life and how it should go on - went to student counseling and got there the answer - business studies !

After 6 months in the army (everyone in Austria has to) I started going to University in Vienna.

Life is hard there: every semester there are like 6000 new students, but money for only 1000... So the first year is just knocking out people.
      There are no exams with less than 50 percent failure rate.

And now I took my first 6 exams getting 5 As and one D :( but this subject was English in which I'm really bad and now want to improve and retake the exam (...and 75% percent failure rate at my exam...) . A-rate in every exam is between 0 and 5 percent - never more than that!

Well - here are my goals to finish my first post:

1.) Getting to a really good University (my dream is Harvard Business School, but it'll get hard ;) )

2.) grade point average of 1,3 or better (1 is in Austria Excellent, 5 is worst), I know it doesn't sound that good but I don't even know someone on my own who has 1,8.

3.) Improving my mathematical skills- I visit Technical University either and only take math courses. Math is much harder there than on my University.

4.) Finishing the next 2 exams with A. But one subject is macro-/microeconomics - A-rate usually between 0 and 0,8 percent. That'll be difficult

Ok, that's it with my first post.

I have to go and have a meal ;)

greets
  • 8 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi Roman,

Nice first post, good luck with your journey.

I'll move your thread into our blog area so that it is easier for our fellow members to track your progress, provide feedback & encouragement etc.

Wishing you every success, study hard, play well, enjoy! ;)

Best regards,

Bart
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      When I read the title, I thought you meant Ivy league as in Ivey league as in Phil Ivey :) . Nice blog, although if you don't mind me saying, how is this poker related? Will you write about your online poker journey or just strictly about your journey into an Ivy league university? Don't get me wong, it could be great to merge the two and have some real life topics in the blog, but I don't think you will get through to many community members if you don't write anything about poker

Anyways, hope all goes well getting to an Ivy league university!
    • Jodok
      Jodok
      Bronze
      Hey!

Well... I at first posted it in Smalltalk and then it got moved here.

There will for sure occur poker-topics too, but the maintopic will be student-life in Austria and stuff about some Universities. Maybe someone is interested in that too ;)

greets
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Hey Jodok. Your english written in this style is in fact really good. What kind of questions did the exam ask to leave you with a D grade ?

I did notice that you started a few sentences with "And" which is supposed to be a no no. As language has become more casual starting sentences with "and", "but" or "so" (conjunctions) sounds quite normal but my teachers at school would pull us up on this one quite a lot.

Really good opening post, I'll be following with interest and I wish you all the best on your way to Harvard.

Easy
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jodok
      Life is hard there: every semester there are like 6000 new students, but money for only 1000... So the first year is just knocking out people.
      There are no exams with less than 50 percent failure rate.
      Sounds brilliant! I think I'm going to look for a job in Austria. Let's have some poker content, and keep posting. Problem children (I have three at home) are always the most interesting. :f_thumbsup:
    • littleA
      littleA
      Bronze
      -
    • Jodok
      Jodok
      Bronze
      Hey!

Nice to see some posts here :)

Originally posted by nibbana
      Hey Jodok. Your english written in this style is in fact really good. What kind of questions did the exam ask to leave you with a D grade ?

I did notice that you started a few sentences with "And" which is supposed to be a no no. As language has become more casual starting sentences with "and", "but" or "so" (conjunctions) sounds quite normal but my teachers at school would pull us up on this one quite a lot.

Really good opening post, I'll be following with interest and I wish you all the best on your way to Harvard.

Easy

First of all thank you :)

I wouldn't start sentences like this on an exam, especially in business english that would be real nonsense. Maybe I should also stop writing like this here, so that I'm used to write normally.
      At the day of the exam I simply had a bad day and missed a C pretty close. Moreover it was on of the hardest exams... Here are the results of my exam. 200 didn't even go the exam.

Grade 1 0.48% (3) only 3 out of 600 got an A
      Grade 2 3.82% (24)
      Grade 3 7.64% (48)
      Grade 4 16.72% (105)
      Grade 5 71.34% (448)

So there were only 4% of As and Bs, and I don't really think I'm one of the top 4%, but I'm still considering retaking the exam. There is a one time chance to do that. Could maybe work.

Now something social :

Thursday I went out in the, as the owners of it say, hugest club in Europe which is situated in Vienna. 5 friends of my hometown came visiting me to party hard ;) . It was awesome, despite the fact I can't remember too much anymore :( .

Friday we went back to my hometown, where in a cocktailclub Austria "TV-stars" were invited. These are guys who are famous because they are stupid and whole Austria is laughing about them, while watching how they try to pick up Eastern European girls. It's real fun :D . Well, 2 of them were there and we had a couple of drinks with them and they are really like in the TV show - A little bit frightening :D

Saturday I was invited to a good-bye-party of a friend who leaves for one year to Singapore. Regarding the past two party nights I was kinda exhausted and didn't stay there long.

Today I was at my university twice. First time buying books and diciding not to go my course which isn't really interesting and easy to learn. Second time to go to micro-macroeconomics course. Now I'm sitting at my girlfriends place chilling a little bit and writing while she's watching desperate housewives ;)

Next weeks are going to be hard. From November 17th through 25th there will be 4 exams for me and I didn't really start learning for them. But Statistics is pretty easy to me and I won't have to study hard for it. One Law- subject I know I'm pretty good at and won't have to do much anymore for it, cause I had another suvject which was pretty much the same. Another Law-subject which I don't really like and have only done one out of 9 chapters so far. Last but not least micro-macroeconomics where I can't really say how good or bad I am at the moment. I don't really know what they'll ask at the exam - Hopefully it won't get too difficult :)

Ok... So now (I know I shouldn't start like this, but don't know how else I should :D ) I will resume watching TV with my girlfriend.

greets
    • Knallo
      Knallo
      Bronze
      Good luck!

But, to put it mildly, you really have to work on your English to stand a chance of getting into an Ivy League university.