Is a Goal a good thing or a bad thing?

• clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

When i got my 50$ i started off by setting a goal of making it 200 in 2 months. What i realised though is that when i started going off track from my goal, my game started changing and all that was in my mind was the goal. So since i was on tilt my br went down the drain. Then i borrowed 5$ from my friend who had deposited and now its $600+. Im just going with the flow, playing more when im running good and playing less when im running bad.

So is it really a good thing to set a goal to hit within a time span. If yes then please tell me how exactly do i plan it out especially when i go off track.

• 14 replies
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi clawindsouza,

As soon as you have the feeling you start tilting you should immediately stop playing. You will just lose money. Set yourself a stop-loss limit.

Do not focus too much on a brankroll goal. Your goal should be to improve your game and then you will reach higher bankroll automatically. So it should be more like: today I watch a video and play 1 hour poker and then review your session and post minimum 2 hands in the evaluation boards.

Best regards,
      Hannes
    • jax3000
      jax3000
      Bronze
      Write it down. Then you don't have to think all the time about it.
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Thanks guys. Hannesz i did set a stop loss limit but i just wanted to hit that goal so bad that i realised how badly i played only when i reviewed my sessions:)

So my goal needs to be in terms of amount i spend on poker and not my winnings?

I like that.....so from now on i shall set a goal on the time im spending on poker and break it up into time for playing and time for videos,books etc

so is that i good goal or do i need to change it in any way?
    • jax3000
      jax3000
      Bronze
      IMHO, if you are starting at poker, you want to learn first and focus on the winnings later. That doesn't mean you should discard the profit/€ factor.
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      My goal is to become successful at poker.

I haven't decided what that success is yet, I just have the desire to be better than others.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      it's good thing if you scored it

• jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Just enjoy playing. If you can't do that, what's the point? There are easier ways to make money.
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Having goals is good for the psychology pertaining to tasks. Focusing your mind on that one task is beneficial, and goals help with that. Setting a time limit, though, doesn't seem that great. It can lead to desperation and can lead to thinking like "omg I haven't reached my goal :( " which is counter-productive, especially in poker, and you WILL lose money the more desperate and dissatisfied you get you get with not reaching your goals in X amount of time. Just be relaxed, set yourself a goal but throw the time limit out of the window. Let yourself get to where you want to be whether it takes 2 months or 2 years.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Goals are essential IMO. Make them realistic and achievable so they motivate you to achieve them rather than set overly ambitious goals and get pissed off if/when you miss them (there is another school of thought which says set outrageous goals - worth a search for an alternative point of view).

Anyway, you are better to set task oriented goals than results oriented goals.

eg task oriented goals are things like resolving to study x hours each week at x times, play x hands in a month. Results oriented goals are things like moving up a limit by x date, earning $x per month.

Task oriented goals you have more control over, results oriented goals require things outside of your control to assist you (ie variance).

Hope this helps!
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by clawindsouza
      playing more when im running good and playing less when im running bad.
      That doesn't make sense.

But yes - goals are good (not only in football). I've heard that it's best to have two types of goals - short term goals and long term goals. If you only have long term it seems something remote and far away and you'll begin to doubt whether it's possible to obtain them. You'll also become lazy, because of the "one day doesn't really matter, I still have five years to make a million" thought pattern :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      A short term goal could be posting x hands in the forums each week, learning particular skills; or watching one vid a week, etc., as has been mentioned above. Notice here that there is a time period for these short term goals, this helps to keep focus on what is required to achieve the longer term aims, which are more general in nature and upon which we can lose focus due to the longer time frame involved.
      We generally say that goals are shorter term and aims are longer term and the short term goals are designed to help us achieve our aims.
      Hope I didn't confuse too much. GL.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Originally posted by clawindsouza
      So my goal needs to be in terms of amount i spend on poker and not my winnings?

I like that.....so from now on i shall set a goal on the time im spending on poker and break it up into time for playing and time for videos,books etc

so is that i good goal or do i need to change it in any way?
      Sounds good, and also review hands so you can get a better understanding of your opponents game and your own so you can play future hands better.

The problem with setting monetary goals is that variance in poker is very high. It's not uncommon that a player may be playing well but be break-even or worse after 100k hands.

Here's a poker variance simulator. For nl, make sure u set the s.d. higher than 27, for me it's 60 big blinds, or 30 PTBB's.

http://www.pokervariancesimulator.fr/
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Just enjoy playing. If you can't do that, what's the point? There are easier ways to make money.
      like what?
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Just enjoy playing
      I agree, but having goals like it was said here is good. Just set your goals in a way you'll still have fun playing poker, setting a goal like "play 5 hours a day" could be bad depending on the person, because that could take the fun out of poker.