SB ($7.15)
      Hero ($10.83)
      UTG ($4)
      UTG+1 ($5)
      UTG+2 ($4.35)
      CO ($14.19)
      BTN ($1.88)

Dealt to Hero A:club: A:heart:

fold, fold, fold, CO raises to $0.20, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.70, CO calls $0.50

FLOP ($1.42) 7:spade: 3:club: 4:spade:

Hero bets $1, CO raises to $2.96, Hero raises to $10.13 (AI), CO calls $7.17

TURN ($21.68) 7:spade: 3:club: 4:spade: K:spade:

RIVER ($21.68) 7:spade: 3:club: 4:spade: K:spade: 6:spade:

CO shows J:club: J:spade:
      (Pre 19%, Flop 13.6%, Turn 25.0%)

Hero shows A:club: A:heart:
      (Pre 81%, Flop 86.4%, Turn 75.0%)

CO wins $20.24

I can't get over this hand for a few days now. If I had 1 stack here, then OK it happens, but I had 2 stacks so I need to know if I played it OK or not. I've checked the articles and there's almost the same example, and it says I should go all in here. One difference is there's a K instead of 3 in example, so should I play differently because of that? I don't think it matters because it's 3bet pot so I really doubt someone would call my 3.5x 3bet with 56s hand.
      The 2nd difference is the reason I'm posting the hand. It's the stack sizes. In this hand opp had enough implied odds to call even this big 3bet with 77, 44 or 33. Is this something because of I should have played differently?
      In this particular hand it was a good shove, I was in front when I shipped in, but I got kind of scared to play deeper then about 150bb, and it affects my game when I get deeper, so I would really need some advices.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Actually I'd rather shove over on this board than on K74 2t, simply because with the K out there it's very doubtful people that called the 3-bet with hands like 99-QQ will overplay them, whereas on 743 2t they also have an overpair and can overplay their 99+ to their heart's content.

The reason we still felt it on K74 2t is because AK is possible there and of course lots of draws could be fast-played, even tho quite often people won't be inclined to raise/call TPTK too often with AK.

People will obviously call your 3-bet with speculative hands because it's deep, that includes all small pocket pairs and 65s type hands even if you 3.5x it. That's still not going to be enough for you to lay down AA at nl5 I don't think, people are just horrible at hand-reading and will always overplay enough hands to warrant you not folding QQ+ in those spots. Once you get down to hands like 99-JJ it's tougher, since suddenly you don't beat as many overpairs, villain could have 2 overs with a flushdraw, and he could also have flatted preflop with QQ+ which have you 2-outing when they raise the flop.

So in general, get ready to make some seemingly weak folds with middling strength hands, or just play them in a way that avoids really ugly spots in general. Like don't 3-bet TT-JJ there if you don't know what to expect from villain postflop (as flopping a overpair still puts you in ugly spots and it's the best you can expect, so imagine if you flop an overcard as well or something), good things can still happen when you flat them, like villain can flop a lower bet and valueown himself into you or you can flop a big set and actually stack him.

Also if a villain you respect/fear has position on you with deep stacks, don't be afraid to leave the table, he can be a real pain in the ass if he's decent and there isn't all that much you can do about it except tighten up a lot, which hinders you ability to play profitably against everybody else.

Hope it helps.