Monthly Million on PP

• cbucsan
      cbucsan
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

I just won a qualifier for the monthly million on party poker which I'm pretty excited about :) .
      I know that I should not be playing qualifiers for tourneys that are over my bankroll but I have no bankroll atm cause I had to cash out everything (not that It wouldn't be otherwise).
      Anyway registered for 50 points and finished 2nd out of 600 winning 1 one of the 3 seats.

I just wanted some advice from ppl who have played MM before about the players and strategy that should be used. Do ppl play really tight or you find maniacs like in any other tourneys ?

I'm planning to play tight as I would be playing for my life :) .

Any advise would be most appreciated

Thank you,
      Gabriel
  • 8 replies
    • cbucsan
      cbucsan
      Bronze
      Man...really ? No one can give me an advice ?

I would really appreciate it as I'ts obsiously the biggest tourney i ever had the chance to play. Usually the MM has around 1300-1400 players and the top 200-250 get payed (250 gets $ 1300) so if I could manage to get in those 200 it would be an enourmeous boost to my bankroll (which I had to cashout) or actually it would be a nice new starting bankroll.

Any advice or tips or whatever that could help...would be awesome.

Thanks,

Gabriel
    • Skring
      Skring
      Bronze
      I can give you some thoughts .. Never been there, never done that, so I`m not fitted to give you any real advice. Here are my thoughts:

- play a very solid TAG game.

- DO NOT play like a scared money! You payed nothing to be in this tournament so you are basically FREEROLLING.

- enjoy your time there. You don`t know when you are going to have this chance again. Do smth really special (not necessarily poker/play-wise). Try wearing smth you like, drink the soda you like during tournament.. Stuff like this! Make yourself as comfortable as possible. Maybe bring in some friends so you will have someone to cheer for you.. Idk, do anything you can to feel great!

- record your session + live reactions - before , during and after the tournament (sound and maybe video with a second, non PC video-camera). If you make a big score you will have a story to tell, so you may want to have some footage to spice it with :D

Best of Luck! May you flop the Nuts every hand and your opponent turn 2nd nuts! ;)
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      perhaps you should unregister from the tourney and take the money since the tournament buyin is clearly out of you bankroll and the skill level is far above what you are right now, no offense intended.

or just go ahead and light a match to your money, i dont care.
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      he got there by playing points buy-in so I think he cant unregister. Im trying to get that tournament with points too, so hopefully we will meet at the final table lol :D
      GL dude :)
    • stijepo1
      stijepo1
      Bronze
      If your skill level is way beyond the skill of ppl playing that tournament you should never play thight ! Play as loose as you can and count on lady luck. That's the only way to make it to the money, trust me...
    • cbucsan
      cbucsan
      Bronze
      @ Skring - thanks man...really nice advice :) ...or at least fun advice and i'll gave my girfriend cheering for me :) ...I'll have plenty of soda as I can't go without and the MM usually takes around 11 - 13 hours so gonna load up hoping that I will be in the game enough to drink it :)
      @ wasy8 already tried that and I get the freeroll entry added to my account...so no money there
      @ sufix645 GL to you as well and hope to see you there 2 :)
      @ stijepo1 if by "way beyond" you mean "way below" then i don't see how playing really lose will get me in the money...i've done my fair share of counting on lady luck but i think a better strategy would be more suitable here.

Thanks guys for all the comments any other thoughts or past experiences would be appreciated.

Gabriel

L.E.: @wasy8 - about that bankroll level...i was wondering if there are 1000 ppl on party poker that have a $ 64.000 to afford the buy-in for this tourney...I'm guessing not and that are plenty of guys like me that just played the points...got the seat and maybe even won.

Also for the past 3 month i've been checking the top 5 winners in MM tourney...on the officialpokerrankings website...and i've seen that 90 % of the top finishing players have a total amount of winnings in the last year that barely exceeds the winning in the MM meaning a guy won 110.000 in the MM and his winnings for 2010 are 113.000 or something like that. ( Just a thing I noticed)
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      My biggest tourney so far was the PokerStars Turbo Takedown. Way over my BR too :)

I agree that you should play a good game and concentrate but don't really think of it as a "tourney of youre life", since it'll only make nervous and you might become scared money. After all, the variance in MMT-s is enormous and you should be aware of the fact that you can play really well and still get kicked out early. So, hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. Try to play a good game and don't think of the money you can win (or not win).

Also, I personally really hate when people (e.g my wife) are cheering and railing my tournament play. It really distracts and pressurizes me. And if I get kicked out I just want to think about it on my own, not answer the questions like "Oh, boy, you must be really dissapointed", or "did you hope you'd do better" or "oh, my god, that bad beat... you must be really mad now." When it's over, it's over. I don't feel like discussing it. But that's me. You might feel differently.
    • cbucsan
      cbucsan
      Bronze
      That for the advice fuzzyfish. My girlfried will not actually cheer for me :) ). To be honest i like her next to me because I explain to her why I made a move or why another player made a certain move.

Why did I overbet or why I folded AJ and sooo on. And she knows a little bit of poker so she understands.

I do that because it helps me stay relaxed (make less bad decisions) and also get mental notes on oher players :) .

Thanks,

Gabriel