UTG ($1.23)
      UTG+1 ($2.06)
      Hero ($2.94)
      MP1 ($0.90)
      MP2 ($2.77)
      CO ($2.28)
      BTN ($5.84)

Dealt to Hero T:club: 9:club:

fold, fold, Hero calls $0.02, fold, MP2 raises to $0.06, CO calls $0.06, fold, SB calls $0.05, fold, Hero calls $0.04

FLOP ($0.26) 5:diamond: 7:club: T:spade:

SB bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, MP2 folds, CO folds

TURN ($0.42) 5:diamond: 7:club: T:spade: 2:diamond:

SB bets $0.13, Hero raises to $0.80, SB raises to $1.50 (AI), Hero calls $0.70

RIVER ($3.42) 5:diamond: 7:club: T:spade: 2:diamond: 6:heart:

Highlight for result:
      [
      SB shows 5h5c
      SB wins $3.20

]
  • 5 replies
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      I'd just call him down here.. i dont like your raise on the turn, because you dont really get called by worse here.
    • DustyMonk
      DustyMonk
      Bronze
      The purpose of the raise on the turn was protection. I wanted to take the pot down there and then. Does this represent a misunderstanding of poker?
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      I didnt mean to be rude or to attack you.. i was just saying that i think the best play would be to just call him down. I'm not saying this is 100% correct way to play that hand, thats just the way i would have played it.

My motto in these situations is: If he's bluffing, let him bluff, if he's got u beat, keep the pot small.
    • DustyMonk
      DustyMonk
      Bronze
      It just noticed that the villain and I were HU on the Turn. I don't think I noticed that during the hand. Would that make a difference to your evaulation (assume multiway pot on the turn even though the pot size does not reflect this)?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's hard to give rules of thumb concerning hand protection. There are situations where the cost of getting it in behind sometimes is more than made up for by the fact that you're really likely to make a mistake when faced with a gross spot later on. Mostly this happens when you have a strong but not super strong made hand on a very drawy board against an aggressive opponent. If you just call and he bombs one of the very many ugly turn for your hand, you might have no idea whatsoever what to make of it and possibly make a big mistake no matter which way you decide to go. Hence rather than calling and being lost on the turn, it's viable to raise and get it in on the flop even if you'll get it in behind often, at it prevents you from bloating a pot that you'll end up giving up on by mistake sometimes.

In this hand, and in most situations especially at microstakes, it's not really the case. People just don't play good enough that you can be worried about calling down small bets when in doubt. So either you believe you can get called by worse hands often, in which case they is value in a raise, or you don't, and you're better off calling to see the next card. So here on the turn, either you think he bet/calls with a lot of hands like 5x/7x/98, in which case you can raise for value, or you don't, in which case mostly he's bluffing or he has a Tx hand that stands to be better than yours and you have no interest in getting more money in.

Hope it helps.