Failed Goal

• PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      Every single time when I almost reach my goal I will keep losing all the way, mostly bad beats.

For example target is $250, when I had around $230 my pocket Aces will never win and my BR will drop significantly duh.
  • 35 replies
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      That's why you don't set monetary goals
    • dagarbisa
      dagarbisa
      Basic
      Hey Mate,

Playing poker with fixed monetary goals, is just like no mans land. When you have decided to win ... $, that time you just concentrate around your pot size. Poker is a game need a lot of concentration and analytical skill.

I hope you will rectify monetary goals in near future while playing, Wish you all the best !!!
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Failure is always the best way to learn
    • PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      I set the target because it is where I can go up one higher stake to play.

I'm stuck at the same line and cannot break through it for many days aiks
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PaTaPaTaPoNn

Are you sure you'll do fine at NL10 when you can't break the $250 line at NL5?
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      i set different type of goals : 1K hands / day , review 5 hands before every game , 10 minutes reviewing my own strategy before i play.
    • PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish

Are you sure you'll do fine at NL10 when you can't break the $250 line at NL5?
      Seriously I'm doubting myself about it too, but I'm open to any suggestion.

@Chenghao

I do keep in mind about strategy and follow it all time, but I keep losing to all-in when I'm ahead.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      I do keep in mind about strategy and follow it all time, but I keep losing to all-in when I'm ahead.
      How is your EV-line? If what you say is true you should be running heavily under your EV-line... If the EV-line is fine but you keep losing because of bad beats it probably means you have to put in more volume :) If your EV-line is negative however you probably have to keep learning.
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      I sympathize because I feel like I'm the king of the failed goal. To be brutally honest, yes bad beats happen but I've noticed that when I am up, I concentrate less so I put myself in questionable situations more. Poker is a game of small edges (poker mindset) and if you are not concentrating 100% of the time, after rake you will not be a winning player. I am living proof. I may complain of a string of bad beats during Rush but to be honest, I put myself in those positions, especially when I'm up. My worst downswings are right after an upswing. Why? Lack of concentration. Online poker is not a license to print money. It really is a lot of work, mental energy.
    • PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      True, my downswing usually came right after an upswing.

How to I check my EV-line? EV stands for expected value right?

And how do I maximise it?

I sincerely thank you all for the kindness advice and I hope to learn more =)
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      True, my downswing usually came right after an upswing.

How to I check my EV-line? EV stands for expected value right?

And how do I maximise it?

I sincerely thank you all for the kindness advice and I hope to learn more =)
      You have to use Pokertracker or HEM for that (dont know if other programs have it). There's an All-in EV line checkbox on the Pokertracker graph section and it shows what your winnings would look like if you won the All-in situations based on the equity. E.g if you hold AA and lose a preflop All-in vs JJ your winnings line goes down but the All-in EV line goes up.
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      http://yfrog.com/f/b8progress3uj/

you dun really need to be bothered with "improving your EV"

just know that the decisions you make will result in the long run you being @ the yellow line , the green line is where you are at now.

blue line = money won @ showdown (after river) ,
      red line = money won without showdown ( at any street , PF , F , T or R)

an example of improving non showdown winnings =

http://www.pokerlistings.com/strategy/the-redline-article

if ur redline is like that of the graph , it means you are not bluffing enough , not showing down when its marginal to showdown.

if its above the 0 mark , you are taking down pots before showdown.
    • PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      So that's the redline...

Where can I check mine? I suppose mine will be very low since I fold when I don't get my draw =/
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      [quote][i]Where can I check mine? I suppose mine will be very low since I fold when I don't get my draw =/[/quote]It's an option in the PokerTracker graph section as well. Showdown / Non showdown winnings.

The red line - It's always nice to have a positive redline, however I don't think that it should be the main goal at the microstakes. People call you down with all kinds of weird hands, thus sometimes it's just better to let go. When I'm sitting at a loose table my flop cbet is around 50%.

@ Chenghao:

Yes, one can't change the yellow line but for me it's actually more important than the green one cause it says more about my playing quality. If the yellow line is going up and the green one is going down, I still feel good about my play.
    • lee200
      lee200
      Bronze
      Every single time when I almost reach my goal I will keep losing all the way, mostly bad beats.

For example target is $250, when I had around $230 my pocket Aces will never win and my BR will drop significantly duh.
      I think there is only one thing to say to that: keep at it. If you are getting your money in good and suffer a bad beat that's just part of the game. Be happy that you got in good and next time you will stack them. It's just coincidence that it happens as you near your goal.

Good luck
    • PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze

It's an option in the PokerTracker graph section as well. Showdown / Non showdown winnings.

Do you mind showing me the link? I tried to find via Google but ended up nowhere =/
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze

It's an option in the PokerTracker graph section as well. Showdown / Non showdown winnings.

Do you mind showing me the link? I tried to find via Google but ended up nowhere =/
      You can download the free trial here. GL

http://www.pokertracker.com/
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I strongly advice you to read The Poker Mindset. It is a great book and it helped me a lot in improving. As for monetary goals, it depends of people. I know that for me I need them. I am very competitive and it helps me a lot to have them. The things is that you have to see them as target but not to beat yourself if you don't achieve it.

the important thing is not the target is the hand that you play. The question you have to ask yourself is could you have played that hand better? how? and why did you play it this way? During the game it is all that count. At the end it does not matter if you win or lose the hand what really matter is if you played it right.

also when you reach your wanted amount to go up limit .I strongly advice you to take a few shot at that limit rather than to move completely. just to see if you are ready. When the amount double, it can't take you half the time to go on tilt and see your BR disappear before you

Best of luck at the tables.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      thazar said:

I strongly advice you to read The Poker Mindset. It is a great book and it helped me a lot in improving. As for monetary goals, it depends of people. I know that for me I need them. I am very competitive and it helps me a lot to have them. The things is that you have to see them as target but not to beat yourself if you don't achieve it.

the important thing is not the target is the hand that you play. The question you have to ask yourself is could you have played that hand better? how? and why did you play it this way? During the game it is all that count. At the end it does not matter if you win or lose the hand what really matter is if you played it right.

also when you reach your wanted amount to go up limit .I strongly advice you to take a few shot at that limit rather than to move completely. just to see if you are ready. When the amount double, it can't take you half the time to go on tilt and see your BR disappear before you

Best of luck at the tables.
      Couldn't agree more!