[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH Rush - AK vs limper

• StaticMoth
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K.
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, 2 folds, BB calls $0.35, MP2 calls $0.35.

Flop: ($1.4) J, J, T (3 players)
      BB checks, MP2 bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35, BB folds.

Turn: ($2.1) T (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20.

River: ($2.5) Q (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45.

Final Pot: $3.4.

I wanted to raise the flop, but I reconsidered because of the two clubs on board cause he probably wouldn't fold almost anything with a million draws out there, so hoping to get to showdown cheap (cause I think I'm ahead there probably except vs small pp). On the turn I crushed his small pp's but no point in raising, only better will call.

River not much changed ... flushes busted, small pp crushed, str nutted ... So only thin that beats me there is a scared Tx ?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I usually raise the flop for the reasons you stated, he might bet/fold small pocket pairs and we're ahead of many draws that he will bet/call. Even if he bet/calls a better made hand, we have 2 overcards and a gutshot against the most common Tx and he'll probably go ahead and bet/3bet Jx, so it's not unplayable for us by any means after a raise.

If you wanna take the highroad you can actually raise there for value against draws he still has them, when you get 3bet you can be pretty sure you're drawing dead and if he bet/calls you'll get to check behind a lot of river with the best hand. Of course if you don't have a good grasp of villain's game, just calling will lead to less troublesome situations.

River is just whatever, him increasing the sizing is generally a sign that he was just being slowplay-happy all along, but once in a while it'll be because he's now bluffing with air instead of blockbetting with a draw, so can't fault anybody for looking him up either getting more about 6:1.

Hope it helps.