[NL2-NL10] SB resteal

• TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      Hello!

I would like to ask about this situation, which happens to me, and I am not sure how to react properly. When I am in SB and somebody open raises to steal the blinds (in this example from BU to 4BB, but they usually raise to 3) and I'm holding a hand, that is listed in the resteal section in SHC, in this case 99 (according to SHC I should resteal with 99+, AJ+).
      However, I'm sitting in the SB, not BB. Is this range meant to be used also in SB? Obviously JJ+, AK I would shove but what about hands like this? My fold SB to steal is something like 95% and this is probably not so good :) ).

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BU:
      $2

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9:heart: , 9:diamond:
      5 folds, BU raises to $0,40, 2 folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0,25
  • 6 replies
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi there,

Standard resteal from SB+BB is 88+, AJ+. So without reads it is a re-steal for sure.

In your case you only have 87 hands so its very unlikely you have firm reads on the guy.

But if you have firm reads that someone always steals 3xbb and then suddenly steals with 4xbb, then you can assign a strong range to him.

Play with the equilator, but 99 is a re-steal almost always.

T.
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      Thank you very much for explaining this to me :) .
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey TheKudy,

As Tampaloeres81 said before standard resteal range is 88+/AJ+ regardless of your position.

To determine your restealing range you should generally just look at opponents stealing range and see which range of yours has 50+% equity against it. However, you should avoid tight spots when you're in SB and look for hands that have more like 50.5-51+% equity because of the BB, but it doesn't affect your play too much. Another thing here is villain's PFR is higher than his ORL, so he probably raises in BU some more hands than just those 14%.

So, you see against his range 99 is doing great thus you should resteal.

As for 3BB and 4BB raises, I think you have to see some showdowns with the player to get the read your presumption is correct as not all players steal with smaller bets.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I actually have seen at low limits a lot of people steal with higher bets (hoping to make you fold) and when they have a hand they min bet or so :D
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      I actually have seen at low limits a lot of people steal with higher bets (hoping to make you fold) and when they have a hand they min bet or so :D
      :D its all about notes and reads ;)
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81
      Originally posted by thazar
      :D its all about notes and reads ;)
      defo :D