Long term online poker success with winning strategies – register for free!
The best strategies With the correct strategy, poker becomes an easy game. Our authors show you how to succeed, one step at a time.
The smartest thinkers Learn from and with internationally successful poker pros, in our live coaching sessions and in the forum.
Free poker money PokerStrategy.com is free of charge. Additionally there is free poker money waiting for you.
River Play - Basic Concepts
This article explains:
- How to play hands of different strength on the river
- Bluffing vs Value betting or checking
The river in Pot Limit Omaha is very different from the other streets. First of all, you know all the board cards, and the only question is how much you want to pay with which hand to go to the showdown, or if you are bluffing, how much to invest to not see the showdown.
Generally, there are five questions that you should ask yourself at the river:
- 1. How do I get to showdown as cheaply as possible with my marginal hand?
- 2. What to do with my semi-strong hand?
- 3. What to do if a scare card comes?
- 4. How do I extract maximum value with my strong hand?
- 5. When can I bluff on the river?
Aside from this, you should also determine the playing style of your opponent:
- 1. How tight or loose is my opponent?
- 2. Can a bluff be played profitably against him?
- 3. What specific reads (betting patterns,...) do I have on my opponent?
- 4. Does my opponent play straight forward or tricky?
- 5. What does my opponent think of me?
Click for more information.