[NL2-NL10] Instructional sample hands #15

• Poll
    • What is the correct move here and why?

fold
        61%
        call
        39%
        leave the table
        0%
      Total: 36 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Rivercalls

Introduction:

This week we will deal with a very general topic. However, the most informative example hands of this week will include very interesting hands as well, which will hopefully help you to enhance your skills.

Hand 1:

Party Poker
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $3/$6
      6 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with A A
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, Hero raises to $36, UTG+1 calls, SB folds.

By default, we raise with aces. A fishy player calls. His stats are 38/8/2.8/32.

Flop: 5 9 K ($78, 2 players)
      Hero bets $60, UTG+1 calls.

The flop is pretty good. Often the fish will have hit something so that we can valuebet. Obviously we have to protect here as well, so we bet.

Turn: 8 ($198, 2 players)
      Hero bets $150, UTG+1 calls.

The turn is acceptable as well. A straight would be possible, but hands like a king, T9, J9 or a flushdraw are hands that are more likely. We have to bet for value and to protect as well. A check/raise would be inappropriate because our opponent will often check behind.

River: 6 ($498, 2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $150, Hero folds.

The river is not acceptable anymore. The 6d is probably the worst card that could have come up. A straight, which cannot be excluded against our opponent with such a WTSD, a flush and many top pairs have us beat. We check for now and hope that our opponent checks behind, but he bets. We have very good odds of 1 to 4.3 and therefore only have to be ahead 19% of the times to make a profitable call in this position. However, we should fold regardless of this fact, because there are no hands that we can beat. Every draw has arrived; there is nothing which he could bluff with. We only beat a hand like AK or KQ. The fish will check these hands most of the time though. Despite very good odds we should fold in this position.

Hand 2:

Party Poker
      5 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with 8 9
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $21, Button calls, 2 folds.

We are new at the table and make a lose openraise. An unknown player calls from the button. He usually has small pocket pairs or suited connectors and possibly hands like QJs, KQs, JTs.

Flop: A A 8 ($51, 2 players)
      Hero bets $40, Button calls.

We hit the 8 on the flop. It is a pretty good flop to contibet on because it is unlikely that our opponent to hit something. He will fold most of the time. In our case he calls. A call on this board usually suggests a strong hand because as we have said, he will mostly miss the flop and fold. Small pocket pairs are possible, an ace as well, which was played slowly or maybe an 8 with a better kicker.

Turn: 6 ($131, 2 players)
      Hero checks, Button checks.

As we don’t have additional information about our opponent and don’t know if and how often he floats, we check and see what happens. Our opponent checks behind. This can thoroughly be done with a small ace if he is passive because he doesn’t want to be checkraised. Small pocket pairs or an 8 are much more likely by now.

River: T ($131, 2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $100, Hero folds.
      Uncalled bets: $100 returned to Button.

A T hits the board on the river, a mediocre card. We check again and hope that the hand will be checked down. In most cases our opponent will check behind with low pocket pairs as well as an 8 because otherwise he wouldn’t have called the flop. Though he bets. As we don’t know our opponent, he could quite possibly valuebet his T that he hit on the river. Without further reads we should fold – with reads you could have a really easy call. Generally most opponents will bluff on the turn rather than on the river. A check behind, following a bet on the river is a valuebet in most cases.

Results:
      Final pot: $131

Hand 3:

Party Poker
      6 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with J J
      4 folds, Hero raises to $21, BB calls.

Standard. Our opponent is a good regular with stats of 24/19/3/23.

Flop: 9 4 Q ($42, 2 players)
      Hero bets $33, BB raises to $90, Hero calls.

The flop is pretty ragged, our opponent will have missed the flop quite frequently. However, we know that he, as it is quite common on this limit, will bluffraise many flops – especially in a blindbattle. We cannot fold our jack that easily, because he will often be bluffing. Occasionally he will have a Q which he would probably just call due to pot control. If he decides to 3-bet, he will have a problem and a tough decision if he holds a Q and raises. He knows this and will mostly call with a Q. Only to balance his line, he will raise once in a while.

Turn: 5 ($222, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

A blank hits on the turn. We are prepared to call another bet because we know that our opponent will often 2barrel if he bluffs. To our surprise he checks behind. This either means that he has given up on his bluff, he is holding JT or that he checks behind with a mediocre Q to control the pot.

River: T ($222, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $200, Hero ....

Call or Fold?
  • 7 replies
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      This is a tough one. I voted fold. It could be very close decision if Villain is tricky and bluffs often. It's hard to judge this with given information. There are possible hands that beats us. A slowplayed set, straight(unlikely), 2 pair, top pair (T9s, QTs fits here perfectly). Bluff is also quite possible here. I would give him some credit for the first time and fold. If similar scenario happens again on the river or turn I would call him.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      I voted for call, because I see villian havin TJ. On the flop he might have thinked that Hero was bluffing and since he had OESD he showed some agression. Since hero called he didn't want to bet turn and on the river he hit and was sure that hero didn't have anything.
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      Hero got 2 Jacks so jack hands are unlikely here.
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      I think a blockbet on the river would've helped here. By checking both the turn and the river we're basically telling villain we don't have anything higher than a pair of queens. He's an aggressive player, so he may have decided this pot is easily stealable from us. We've put ourselves into a very difficult place with our jacks, and both calling and folding seem reasonable. In that case, the decision that should be made depends on reads. Does he valuebet a lot on the river? Does he bluff a lot? What could he have? 9T is certainly an option, AQ, KQ or QJ may very well be possible too. Or he might be bluffing since you haven't shown any particular strength. I think neither of the 2 options are particulary great. I'd go for the call since he's aggressive, but I wouldn't by any means be happy about it.
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      I'm extra careful with 9,T,J,Q on the board, the more of them the more careful. This mid-high cards are often limped in any 2 cards combinations most of the time suited.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      If villain has respect for our play then I don't think that he'd value bet the river with a hand that doesn't beat a pair of T's. I feel that a "T-x hand for one pair" would check behind here.ie.TJ,KT.

The most likely hands that he bets here are KJ,QT, or hands with no SD value whatsoever. If villain was on a bluff then he'd surely follow up with a second barrel rather than weakly check behind on the turn. I'd lean towards a fold.

I am normally such a calling station but I have managed to talk myself out of it this time.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      As played there , i am folding because of the overcard. I would have prefered a blockbet there as well though.
      Maybe another option would be to lead again on the turn and fold to further action. No way to know where you stand with check turn /check river.