Protection against draws.

• SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      A small question.
      When I'm heads up on the flop and the board is a bit drawy (2 suits or 2 close range cards), is it really necessary to bet about pot to protect against flush and straight draws with a made hand ? Sure, villain could be drawing, but I think the lost income because of the high protective bet I make doesn't make up of the occasional draws made when heads up on the flop.
      Same with multiway pots on the flop, but heads up on the turn and the turn card makes a backdoor flush possible.

Also, I feel like I give too much information away when doing that. I want to get money out of a double pair/set, not see it folded to my potsize bet :)
  • 2 replies
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Bronze
      I had the same doubts. Here are my thoughts about this issue. There are three most important factors: board, number of opponents, was the pot raised preflop or not.
      The board structure is an obvious thing, suitedness, connectiveness. I would say that 2 suited rag board with no connectiveness is not very drawy against one opponent and I would often bet standard 2/3rd pot for value. While 2 suited board with a J and T against 2 opponents I would consider very drawy and bet it about pot, even more than a pot sometimes against very loose opponents (it's likely that one of them has a draw or a pair which is also a kind of draw).
      The last thing is the question if the pot was raised or not preflop. If it was raised, I don't care as much about small card connectiveness, although I wouldn't ignore this completely. I'm very aware of mid - high cards: 8,9,T,J,Q, both in raised and not raised pot, people loves to limp them and don't give up drawing hands easily.
      One more thing. I do this mistake quite often. I bet/raise high for protection and than when the draw completes and opponent bets into me I can't fold. It's important to remember that when u bet or raise for protection u have to be ready to give up the hand, if u are not the whole protection is useless because u give him good implied odds that cover the protection loses.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

I recommend you to read this article carefully again: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/20/

If you have any further questions: let me know!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81