Discussion hand 6: Dry sidepot on the bubble

• pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Here is another hand for discussion, a slight modification of an actual hand someone sent to me. Again, the goal is not to get the right answer, but to think about some interesting situations. Please feel free to post some ideas even if you might change your mind later.

50-30-20 Mid-stakes SNG
      No relevant reads.
      Blinds 120/240

CO: 4500
      BTN: 3120
      SB: 480 (360 after posting)
      BB (Hero): 5400

Preflop:
      fold, BTN minraises to 480, SB calls 360 (all-in), BB calls 240 with 9:spade: 5:spade: .

Flop (1440, 3 players): Q:spade: 5:heart: 4:spade:
      BB checks, BTN bets 1440 (1200 behind), BB ???

1) Is the BB's preflop call ok?
      2) What is the range for the BTN on the flop?
      3) How much equity does 9:spade: 5:spade: have against that range?
      4) How much equity does the BB need to call on the flop?
  • 5 replies
    • savage1981
      savage1981
      Bronze
      1) I think call is OK for cooperation play.
      2) I presume the BU is trying to protect his hand by betting so much, so fairly tight: AQ, KQ, Q9+, QQ+, 55, 44
      3) 45.87% against the above range
      4) To call the flop bet, Ive got 41.61%. But since I cant see the point in calling and then folding on the turn if the spade doesnt come, then I think we actually need to work out the equity needed to call a push, which I get to 46.43%
    • Preaver
      Preaver
      Bronze
      1. Definitely, the BU should be glad to check it down if necessary and our odds preflop are really great here.

2. His bet is pretty strong, I'd put him on Top Pair (presumably at least QT) or better, maybe a FD with something added to it.

3. Opening Stove now would make that question unnessecary, I would guess we have about 40% equity.

4. I agree with savage here, we cant really fold the turn if a spade doesnt show, so we might as well calculate the odds for a push by BTN. Not going to calculate now, but I would fold here I think, even though its pretty damn close.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by savage1981
      1) I think call is OK for cooperation play.
      2) I presume the BU is trying to protect his hand by betting so much, so fairly tight: AQ, KQ, Q9+, QQ+, 55, 44
      3) 45.87% against the above range
      4) To call the flop bet, Ive got 41.61%. But since I cant see the point in calling and then folding on the turn if the spade doesnt come, then I think we actually need to work out the equity needed to call a push, which I get to 46.43%
      I think a hand like A :spade: 7 :spade: would legitimately play this way as well.
      Bronze
      1 and 2 tie in together for me.

If he is raising through a tiny stack and into your big stack he has to have a strong hand here so calling for
      cooperation when villain is raising for value seems wrong. I would fold preflop and let them collide before
      I would flat call.

His flop bet continues his now likely story for me and with him investing half his stack with the short
      stack all but eliminated there is no way he is folding now or at any time throughout the hand.

So I put him on TT+ AQs+ so If I did this right... you have 45% Equity and it is a push or fold situation
      so a call is out of the question.
    • maniac
      maniac
      Bronze
      i shove this one preflop.
      because we got huge fe and enough equity from the deadomey. if i double the shorty its just not that bad. we´re still chipleader and can abuse the bubble. thus its a midstakes sngs and unkowns should probalby be monyscard here imo.
      Nevertheless you got enough fe in your fg to play after loosing. so i shove.

another reason you described yourself in another hand. even if he traps here like your ako than he need al lot eq to call if we shove any2.