Low blind play when short handed

• TinovderLaan
      TinovderLaan
      Bronze
      So I'm playing a fair amount of $1 SNGs, both 9-handed and 6-handed, but there's an odd situation that comes up quite often that's sometimes really annoying to deal with.

The situation is this: there are a lot of morons playing these micro stakes SNGs (which is good, because they have really helped my ROI :p), but that also means I've been down to four players in the second blind level, because players are going all-in left and right. So there I'm sitting with my usually decent stack of t1300-t1700, while the other remaining players often have more (because they won their races...).

Now I've heard arguments for going for playing much looser here, but I'm generally still sitting there with well over 30 big blinds, so I really don't mind waiting for at least somewhat decent cards. But then people say, 'no, you are so short handed, and the others have so much more chips, you should play much looser here'.

I guess an argument can be made for that, but isn't it far more optimal to just wait for the good/decent cards to come, and use those to try and win pots from the loose big stacks? After all, the best way to beat loose players is to be tight, but many people still tell me to loosen up a lot. I do loosen up a bit, but not too much, because that'll just get rid of my edge, which is knowing that I can outplay these guys quite easily using the right strategy. But imo, the right strategy is to just stay tight in these situations.

So am I correct here, or are there really good arguments for loosening up as much as some people suggest?
  • 4 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      The best way to outplay loose players is not necessarily to play tightly. You should play tighter than they are, but the fact that they play more hands tends to make your marginal hands more profitable in early levels.

You should look for good opportunities. Are KJo and ATo good opportunities? When you are 5 off the button, no. When you are in the CO and no one has raised in front of you, then those are usually good. When there are fewer players at the table, you will be in late position more often, so you should get more good opportunities, and you should be playing more hands.
    • TinovderLaan
      TinovderLaan
      Bronze
      I see. Thanks a lot!

Also, you edited your post over 1200 times... Software fail?
    • DeVinschi
      DeVinschi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinovderLaan
      I see. Thanks a lot!

Also, you edited your post over 1200 times... Software fail?

its not an edit, its his signature :rolleyes: :D
    • TinovderLaan
      TinovderLaan
      Bronze
      Yeah, I figured that after reading a couple more of his posts.

I feel kind of silly now :P