Thazar, NL50 Zoom

• thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi

Some of you might know me through the english community FullTilt or SSS forum.

I have started playing poker about 1.5 year ago as a recreation and just over a year ago I discovered PokerStrategy and wanted to improve my play. After a dwonswing in February last year I stopped for 2 month and came back when offered a bonus from FullTilt.

I am by trade a PHP web developer but over the last 2 year business has been very slow and I decided to see if I had what it takes to make it as a pro. I have a family and an expensive loads of bills and I needed an income straight away. So I decided to take up to a set amount each month depending of the limit I am at.

I play Rush poker MSS at FullTilt for most of the time. I started with a $200 BR back in May and playing NL10.

With the helps of bonuses and Rakeback I managed to takehome $500 every month while improving my game. In October I had a great month and I manage to takehome $500 make enough to move up to NL25 and make a further $200 at the new limit.

November was not such a good month only took home $300 (pretty bad for a higher limit). December started not so great as well and upto the 14th I had only made $200. But By that time I was in talks with Gerv over a coaching deal which started on the 13th of december. Then from the 14th until the end of December I made over $1000 making it my best month so far.

Gerv agreed to stack me for NL50 and, January was not too bad with a profit of about $1400 but with the help of the end of year bonus.

Over the last 3 weeks I have had a very poor mindset and it has had a dramatic effect on my game. So here I am, back at NL25 rebuilding my mindset.

In this blog I will keep updates of my mindset, my game and my progress on the journey to becoming a pro. I'll post some interesting hands and hopefully will have some fun to share along the way.
  • 1475 replies
    • SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      MSS Blog, Sounds interesting, Good luck making shitloads of $$ :f_cool:
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I have been playing really little the past few days, but reading and watching videos, and getting back in the right mindset. I will start back grinding heavily from tomorrow and post some results on Friday.

@SneakyhanD: thanks for your encouragement.
    • DreamCatch
      DreamCatch
      Basic
      do you play 6max or 9max?

GL :)
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      I think he still plays 9max at least from my hand histories that was his main :D I saw you grind alot nl10, as I was rushing all day for many months. GL with ur mindset, a problem we all have..
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      hi goodluck! i dig grinders :D
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi everyone and thanks for stopping by

@dreamcatch: 9max ftw

@OZSA: Yes you are right I almost exclusively played 9max so far. As for my mindset atm I feel like at the bottom of the pit, So I need to build a positive attitude.

@Supeyrio: Thanks for the good luck :D ; And maybe see you at the tables :f_p:
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Part of the work on mindset is not to look at the cashier area or HEM winning during play. I have become really money orientated partly by force of habit and partly because I take wages that I need from poker. Over the course of time I have become completely addicted at looking at my result while playing. Stopping when I lose too much and getting excited and playing a bit looser when winning. Now to keep a steady game I need to take that money orientation away and concentrate on each hand.

I have made several attempt at not looking at the cashier during the game. And everytime It had a dramatic effect on my BR. Discussing with Gerv, we realised that i was so obsessed with looking at my BR that when i was not looking at it I was thinking even more about it,m distracting me from the game.

This time I am taking it further. I have removed the winning, bb/100 and ev stats from my HEm and hidden the cashier and decided to look at it once a week.

Did it for about 3 days last week. I was really happy with my game during those 3 days. I did not play much, Only about 5k hands. When i looked at the cashier then I wa about breakeven and even though I totally understand I that 5k hand is not a relevant sample, i felt gutted. So well I kept going, just playing a few thousand hands. But not really feeling it.

I am reading atm "Treat your poker like a business (LeatherAss)"

It is a good book and one chapter made me realise that i had to push myself more. It made me realise that I was seating at the poker table with a defeatist attitude, a negative attitude that I was going to lose no matter what.

I played today 2 sessions so far. The first session, I felt I was playing really well but i got coolered so many time, and my Cowboys ran into Rockets twice, so well. But where i would normally have stop felling angry and gutted, I continued playing and it did not seem to affect me (that is really a first). I am normally really emotional when I play poker and sometimes i feel like breaking something. But I did not feel the emotions I normally do. The second session, not only I feel played well, I also think it went well. So far i can say that I am really happy with my day.

I just hope that I am learning dealing with my emotions while playing poker and that it wasnt a one off. Time will tell...
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Get back to NL50! I need some midstacks to... uhm... stack! :f_biggrin:

Naw, seriously good luck!
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      To conclude the evening I thought I'd post a few hands :)

This first one when Villain showed His Kings, I thought YEEE my turn, The A on the flop and I thought it was in the bag, little did I know :f_cool:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($21.71)
      SB ($90.07)
      BB ($28.17)
      UTG ($9.41)
      UTG+1 ($18.72)
      MP1 ($78.11)
      MP2 ($41.34)
      Hero (MP3) ($10.35)
      CO ($83.07)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:club: , A:heart:
      4 folds, Hero bets $0.85, 1 fold, Button raises to $2.90, 2 folds, Hero raises to $10.35 (All-In), Button calls $7.45

Flop: ($21.05) A:diamond: , 8:spade: , 5:spade: (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: ($21.05) 4:spade: (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($21.05) 3:spade: (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $21.05 | Rake: $1.05

Results:
      Button had K:heart: , K:spade: (flush, King high).
      Hero had A:club: , A:heart: (three of a kind, Aces).
      Outcome: Button won $20

On the Next one with a few people slightly loose, I thought it was a great place to squeeze. I get called by 3 people damn. The flop is pretty good giving me the nut FD so I push hoping to portray a monster. When i get call I expect to see an over pair or a set. Lucky me the guy got only a BDFD and a gut shot, well lol.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($9.38)
      UTG+1 ($34.79)
      MP1 ($21.13)
      MP2 ($13.86)
      MP3 ($28.09)
      CO ($19.50)
      Button ($17.87)
      Hero (SB) ($10.99)
      BB ($25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:spade: , J:spade:
      3 folds, MP2 bets $0.85, MP3 calls $0.85, CO calls $0.85, Button calls $0.85, Hero raises to $4, 1 fold, MP2 calls $3.15, 1 fold, CO calls $3.15, Button calls $3.15

Flop: ($17.10) 2:heart: , 3:spade: , 7:spade: (4 players)
      Hero bets $6.99 (All-In), 2 folds, Button calls $6.99

Turn: ($31.08) 6:club: (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($31.08) 4:club: (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $31.08 | Rake: $1.55

Results:
      Button had A:heart: , 5:heart: (straight, seven high).
      Hero had A:spade: , J:spade: (high card, Ace).
      Outcome: Button won $29.53

finally, well, all i can say is fortunately there are this type of players

MP1 ($10.35)
      MP2 ($25.35)
      MP3 ($77.22)
      Hero (CO) ($12.52)
      Button ($29.37)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($11.78)
      UTG ($17.98)
      UTG+1 ($9.89)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q:spade: , Q:club:
      UTG bets $0.50, 4 folds, Hero raises to $1.85, 3 folds, UTG calls $1.35

Flop: ($4.05) 6:club: , Q:diamond: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      UTG bets $4.60, Hero calls $4.60

Turn: ($13.25) A:heart: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($13.25) 4:club: (2 players)
      UTG bets $11.53 (All-In), Hero calls $6.07 (All-In)

Total pot: $25.39 | Rake: $1.26

Results:
      UTG had K:diamond: , 5:club: (one pair, sixes).
      Hero had Q:spade: , Q:club: (full house, Queens over sixes).
      Outcome: Hero won $24.13
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      @Manu: Don't worry I'll be back soon to take your $$$ :s_cool:
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Yesterday I had a coaching session and first thing was to get a BR update.

and I was 30BI down in the last 13k hands so not good :f_cry: .

Anyway even though I am disappointed I not focusing on the money results and concentrate on playing well.

Gerv found a big leak in my hand reading ability so I will point all my focus towards it for this week and it will be my main area of work.

A major issue that I had was reviewing my hands during play. So that is changing and I will do a daily hand review session at the beginning of each day.

I will also now keep an eye daily on the BR to stay on the safe side. even though I am positive that my work will pay off.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      What BR do you use for MSS? 50BI or more?

GL at tables. ;)
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi Ticiboy

I normally use 50BI and move down If I am at 50BI for the level bellow.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Find the MSS very interesting and although I am rather sceptical would love to see it take off aswell as SSS. Geeel, and I will follow updates.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      mmh, I shall follow with interest too
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi Vonki and Pleno1, thank you for dropping by. I glad to generate some interest :)
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      can I ask you btw, why you chose to play MSS instead of BSS? What are the reasons?
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      @Vonki: I started by playing SSS at fulltilt, when SSS was removed I switched straight away to MSS RUSH and haven't changed since then. I have given a go at BSS a few times. But I feel out of my comfort zone.

I uderstand that having an edge in BSS can be greater than an edge in MSS because of the implied pot odds. However the argument that comes most of the time is the stack size, ie if you have 40bb you cannot take the 100bb of the fish, I agree BUT, playing $10 BSS at NL10 or $10 MSS at NL25, I am still able to take the same amount from the fish, what more is the fish is more likely to still have $10 at NL25 than at NL10 so I think I am more likely to stack up.

Finally a lot of people see a 40BB stack at the table and label him straight away as a fish :s_cool: . So that might give me an additional advantage (when I don't actually play like a fish :f_eek: )
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      I suppose you make some nice points. Also, I think BSS players /fullstacked fish are more likely to stack off light with more marginal hands.

I mean so many times Ive heard "well I cant fold here vs a 40bb stack". So I guess it makes sense =)