[NL2-NL10] NL2 Pocket Queens - Good or bad play/read?

• PokerPaulh
      PokerPaulh
      Bronze
      34 hands played: Villain 38/6/2.3 - Hero 15/6/0.0

Points to note: Villain snap called my flop c-bet, and turn c-bet. The speed of the villain's action was out of the ordinary for the table. This was the only time in the session that he acted with such instant speed.

Hero (CO): $2.26
      DISSENTERR (BTN): $2.83
      BEWILDERING (SB): $1.34
      SKIM1509 (BB): $1.08
      CHRURAX111 (UTG): $5.41
      JNAIS (UTG+1): $3.60
      TURBUNAL (MP1): $0.97
      VAREDSOXFAN7 (MP2): $5.71

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with Q:heart: Q:club:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, DISSENTERR calls $0.08, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.19) 2:heart: 5:heart: 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.14, DISSENTERR calls $0.14

Turn: ($0.47) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.32, DISSENTERR calls $0.32

River: ($1.11) A:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, DISSENTERR bets $1.11, Hero calls $1.11

Any advice on the following points would be greatly appreciated:

(a) Was the flop c-bet of a reasonable size?

(b) Should I continue my aggresive action on the turn, and was the bet sizing adequate?

(c) The river brings a scare card, but I figure my hand has showdown value, hence the check/call. Because of the villain's bet size I think he is trying to buy the pot. I believe if he was value betting, he would bet between 1/2 and 3/4 pot. What do you think of my analysis?

Thank you for your time and effort, any advice would be greatly welcomed.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerPaulh,

Happy to see your post again. Hopefully we will see them in future even more.

About the play:

(a) Was the flop c-bet of a reasonable size?

Yeah, I totally like it, sometimes I even make it like $0,16 but it ain't that big difference.

(b) Should I continue my aggresive action on the turn, and was the bet sizing adequate?

Definitely and you could there as well add like few cents ~$0,40 but also that doesn't make much of difference either, your sizing is as well fine.

(c) The river brings a scare card, but I figure my hand has showdown value, hence the check/call. Because of the villain's bet size I think he is trying to buy the pot. I believe if he was value betting, he would bet between 1/2 and 3/4 pot. What do you think of my analysis?

Overall your analyze is very good and keep going those kind of good hands and such a play and you will improve your winrate with no time and likely as well move up the limits. :)

Also one thing I'd like to mention out that he may easily just bluff there on river with missed draws and that kind of Call is totally doable, and ain't even wrong. And why I did pick the Call? Since I have seen so many opponents who just play like you mentioned that he was insta calling both flop & turn, they just often have draws in their hands which tries to get fast to next card and hopes to hit.

Of course we could as well talk there like of folding the hand, although those those kind of patterns you pointed out, I guess I'd make the crying call there, and he doesn't seem to be that passive either. But overall of course folding sometimes might be even the best option if we are against totally unknown. What did you have then? :)

Best regards.
    • PokerPaulh
      PokerPaulh
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz, thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I will definately be posting more hands in the future. Here is the entire hand with showdown results. I think it worked out rather well.

Hero (CO): $2.26
      DISSENTERR (BTN): $2.83
      BEWILDERING (SB): $1.34
      SKIM1509 (BB): $1.08
      CHRURAX111 (UTG): $5.41
      JNAIS (UTG+1): $3.60
      TURBUNAL (MP1): $0.97
      VAREDSOXFAN7 (MP2): $5.71

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with Q:heart: Q:club:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, DISSENTERR calls $0.08, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.19) 2:heart: 5:heart: 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.14, DISSENTERR calls $0.14

Turn: ($0.47) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.32, DISSENTERR calls $0.32

River: ($1.11) A:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, DISSENTERR bets $1.11, Hero calls $1.11

Final Pot: $3.33
      Hero shows Q:heart: Q:club: (One pair, queens)
      DISSENTERR shows 9:heart: K:heart: (ace high)
      Hero wins $3.17
      (Rake: $0.16)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Easy money. :f_biggrin: I will be waiting for your hands. Till then, good luck on the tables!