[NL2-NL10] NL sample hands week #52

• Puschkin81

Last week, we talked about the various types of bets. Today, I want to show you more examples with which I'd like to outline further thoughts about why we bet in certain situations and why sometimes a bet wouldn't make much sense.

Hand 1
      PartyPoker $25 NL Hold'em (6 handed) HandRecorder v0.9b

Stacks & Stats
      MP ($25)
      CO ($25)
      UTG ($25)
      BB ($25)
      SB ($25)
      Hero ($25)
      Preflop: Hero is Button with 3 :heart: , 3 :club:
      UTG raises to $1.00, 1 fold, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, SB calls $1.00, BB checks

Flop: ($5.00) 6 :heart: , 7:club: , 8:heart: (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks

We call preflop for set value without a worry after a raise plus coldcall. It's a 5-handed pot on the flop and everybody checks to us. The question is whether to bet now or not?
      Why should we bet here? We will rarely get value from a weaker hand. It's maybe possible that we are actually still in front against a draw. But it might be difficult to play against a draw on further streets. It's not necessary to consider about protection since our hand is way to weak for it.
      A bet in this situation would be a position bet because all players showed weakness – at least we should believe that – so we could steal the pot.
      However it's very unlikely that we can force out all of the 4 players. Our fold equity is almost zero. Someone who actually holds a flush draw, a 5 or a T wouldn't just fold. Then if we check the turn, we can't call a pot size bet any more with an underpair in the case villain tries to bluff a busted draw on the river.
      In addition, of course, there are often overpairs, two pairs, sets or even better hands which are slowplayed by villain. Therefore we completely abstain from a bet since it won't be an advantage for us.

Hand 2

Stacks & Stats
      MP ($25)
      CO ($25)
      BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25)
      Hero ($25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J:heart: , J:diamond:
      Hero raises to $1.00, 1 fold,CO calls $1.00, 2 folds, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($3.50) A:spade: , K:spade: , 6:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.00, CO calls $3.00, SB calls $3.00

Turn ($12.50) 9:spade: (3 players)

We raise preflop from UTG with JJ, get two callers and the flop is not that good for us.
      Why do we bet on the flop? First of all, we place our continuation bet, none of the villains might hit something here. At the same time we receive information where we stand, thus our line is bet/fold flop.
      It's doubtful whether we get value from weaker hands in the following rounds, but if someone holds a draw, we have to protect our hand, of course.
      What are we doing on the turn? The flop was called by both villains. They could hold weak made hands, draws, monster or float attempts.
      Now, the turn completes a flush draw which we believe one of the villains could hold. A bet wouldn't bring us value from a weaker hand any more and we don't need to protect against a gutshot straight draw which is the only possible draw left.
      With a bet, we would get a information where we stand, at best. However, every weaker hand will fold and every stronger hand will call or raise for value.
      What remains is a bluff: Do we have enough fold equity against both on this board? Surely not, because it's pretty unlikely that both players give up on the turn when calling (check/call) the flop with air. Therefore a bluff is not worth it in this situation.
      Conclusion: There is no reason given to bet here. Our line is check/fold on the turn.

Hand 3

Stacks & Stats
      MP ($25)
      CO ($25)
      UTG ($25)
      BB ($25)
      SB ($25)
      Hero ($25)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A:club: , K:diamond:
      UTG raises to $1.00, 3 fols, Hero raises to $3.00[(color], 2 folds, UTG calls $3.00

Flop: ($6.75) J:heart: , 3:diamond: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      UTG checks, [color=red]Hero bets $5.00 , UTG calls $5.00

Turn: ($16.76) 4:spade: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($16.76) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $12.00

The preflop situation with AKo in position should be clear. We place our normal continuation bet on the flop. On the turn we have two options now: Bet or check behind. Of course, the bet is not a value bet since we are seldom in front with ace high.
      So we are more close to a bluff. We would have to force a better hand to fold. The turn brings not really a scare card with 4. Villain might be able to fold a pocket pair, but surely not Jx.
      Therefore we check behind, after all we have 6 outs for TPTK. The river brings a queen and villain checks again.
      Villain has raised preflop, so we put him on a range of medium pocket pairs, AJ/KJ. Villain would have bet his better hands (sets, AA/KK/QQ/KQ/AQ) on the river at the latest and would have played check/fold with worse hands.
      With the given range, villain should be able to fold often enough after a bet because the river card can easily be seen as a scare card. We can represent a queen very well, besides, we assume to lose nearly every showdown. This spot works very well for a pure bluff bet.
  • 3 replies
    • drachdudek

I would not agree to "bluff raise" on the river for the sample hand #3, maybe on higher limits, but not on NL10 - 25...players will call you with every hand (also in Sklanskys book about NL is written, that player should almost always call the river if ther pot is high, no matter equity and odds you have..). Also maybe UTG checked on the river, just to catch our bluff, i think our odds and equity are not so good in this case. Also the read and note on this player is important, without reads, i would check until the end...

• RaidanKR
      I agree, im not betting the river here, its such an obvious spot for a bluff steal. He is getting about 2:1 to call, he isnt folding any J/Q here. He would have called our flop bet with KQ/AQ/AJ/QJ/KJ, and would likely have bet the turn with AJ/KJ/QJ, but its quite possible he has paired his overcard here with something like AQ/KQ. In addition, he isnt folding any pocket pair 55+ here. Bad spot to bluff, I check it down.
    • Cojack123
      #3 Hand
      i dont think he will fold a Jack to a 12$ bet.
      Your bluff works at nl100+ but not at nl 25.
      He will fold pocket pairs 22-TT.

His turn check can be everything i dont think he
      donks top pair a lot.
      The river check says that he has not AA KK or QQ.
      If he is reasonable.

You could bet 16$ or 17$ to make him fold
      a Jack. 12$ is not enough.