What do your family members think about you as a poker player?

• Poll
    • They think...

I am addicted
        30%
        I should concentrate on my studies
        29%
        I'll gamble away all my money
        22%
        I am stupid
        7%
        I should give them some of my money
        6%
        poker is a great game
        4%
        I should become a professional poker player
        3%
      Total: 264 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Christmas is coming and it is a family celebration. You meet your Mum and Dad, your brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, grandfathers and grandmothers as well as other relatives. What do they think about you as a poker player?

Let us know!

Merry Christmas to all of you!
      Puschkin81
  • 19 replies
    • mikeymoo
      mikeymoo
      Bronze
      Good question.

They think I'm good, because I trash them every time we play.

;)

EDIT: And my sister thinks I'm going to gamble away all my money because gambling runs in the family, several relatives going broke in -EV games etc... she once went crazy because I called a preflop all in SnG with KK... I mean stupid crazy. She was yelling at what a bad play it was because I was chip leader and that call eventually made me bubble out blah blah blah...

EDIT2: So I'm gonna say addicted, should concentrate on studies, and that I'm gonna gamble all my money and house and laptop etc away. ;)
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Everyone says I'm addicted and poker is game of pure luck. But no one knows I've been winning some money with it! :D
      Except for my parents, but they don't say anything about it. And my grandmother doesn't believe I play for real money! :P
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      My mother, as expected, is against such "gambling" activities(of course poker is not PURE gambling, but how to explain it to her?) but doesn't really stop me from playing - it's ok with her.

The reaction of my father when mother told him I play poker(my parents are divorced and my father doesn't live with us, so he doesn't know what I am doing unless me personally or somebody else tells him) was "Really? How much have you lost?". I said "Would you believe that I have made an average monthly salary for the past 30 days?". And he didn't really mind it, just said to be cautious and that poker should not distract me from my studies. Which is the thing they care about, and with right, so I hope I will manage to combine things with ease.
    • metmaster2
      metmaster2
      Bronze
      i am addicted, i am stupid,
      BUT: i should give them some money :evil: :tongue:
    • gustamaneh
      gustamaneh
      Bronze
      i should concentrate on my studies hehe
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by finchybg
      My mother, as expected, is against such "gambling" activities(of course poker is not PURE gambling, but how to explain it to her?)
      Buy her the "Theory of poker" by skalnsky as a Xmas present))
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I voted for "concentrate on studies" but they also asked me to cash out 15k :D .
      Anyway the results prove that poker's image still is very bad.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Mine hate me playing it.
      I should concentrate on my studies and I might get addicted yadda yadda.
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      Originally posted by finchybg
      My mother, as expected, is against such "gambling" activities(of course poker is not PURE gambling, but how to explain it to her?)
      Buy her the "Theory of poker" by skalnsky as a Xmas present))

Hahahahah, imagine it :D

By the way, with 58 Votes already, obviously none of the parents approve of poker :D
    • Pacer357
      Pacer357
      Bronze
      I got my first chipset from my father and my mother is a member of pokerstrategy. We used to play poker for coins when I grew up.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      So in other words : even if you run into the worst downswing of us all, you are the luckiest guy on here ...
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I go to work, study university, so my family think poker is fine- just harmless game where I could win or loose couple of $. My friends although think that I'll gamble away all my winnings and the first place I should make withdraw and never play poker again;)
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      To be honest, I couldn't care less what they think.

My mom: Fears I might get addicted, and thinks that studying is a priority. But generally she's convinced that I'm a good player and doesn't oppose to it (anymore).

My dad: surprised that I made so much money out of it already, but thinks it's great.

Let's not mention my 3k loss over the last 3 weeks :D
      I casually dropped that if I were able to live from it, I would, and I at least didn't receive a negative reaction. I think they realize that no matter what they say, I'm doing it anyway (as I always do ;) ), so they stop bothering to lecture me and just let me go my way :)

My friends, who are mostly poker players themselves, are a little bit divided: some think it's great, some don't understand and still see it as "gambling", no matter how many times I explain the concepts (BRM, TA-game).
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Heh, took advantage of myself beeing home and affiliated my mom to PokerStrategy)) she is studying FL articles to pass the quiz at the moment and won 10$ from me in our first HU session :D
    • AlexisBRO
      AlexisBRO
      Bronze
      My mother thinks Im going to gamble away all my money, my dad thinks its great and wants to sign up here too and my gf says i should give her money.... Thats what I imagined it to be like.
    • gabrielct87
      gabrielct87
      Silver
      Addicted, concentrate on studies.

My grandma is strongly against gambling.
    • LurkerBelow
      LurkerBelow
      Bronze
      My dad thinks its all a big scam and that the poker rooms will steal my money :P

im trying to let him see now how everything works and why i got an edge on most online players cause im using good strategy i learn here :)
      He sees now that im not loosing (nor winning alot yet :P ) but its slowly groing
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      My mum just laughs at it, probably doesn't understand
    • EGruzdas
      EGruzdas
      Bronze
      I just asked my mom's this question. She said you will become a professional player but uptil then you will lose all your money :D Made me laugh :)