Rushing the Right way (Blog of Bliausmas)

• Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Hello everybody!

As it looks popular to start your blog-like thread, I decided to give myself a try. I believe it will be good for both me and the readers. So let's get this mega-project started! :s_cool:

I'm a 23 year old guy from Lithuania, now I live in the UK for some time. I started playing poker online like a year ago (I honestly don't remember when exactly did I start playing with real money). I have busted some bankrolls as I was a big fish all the time. Although I am glad that all these bankrolls were no deposit bonuses or freeroll winnings.

Now I play NL10 6max Rush poker at Full Tilt. I am determined to improve and move on playing cash games. MTT's (and Vegas) can wait, and SNG's... ah who plays them anyway? :f_biggrin:

I enjoy playing poker, it's fun, it's like a hobby for me. Therefore improving at something you like is always a pleasure. I walked a pretty long way in microstakes from 37/9 fish to 22/12 calling station to 25/20 wannabe solid player to 17/15 normal player. I believe my A game would be just enough to beat the micros finally, but the vast majority of my problems comes due to poor mindset and psichology. I have to admit that I have a "gambler gene", so when I am unlucky, tilting, losing, I can't stop playing, I play even more then, of course I play badly, and I start to make idiot calls like subconciously. You know, this vicious circle starts.

I had pretty hard time beating NL5 Rush, it took me like 118k hands to... remain break even. But after that I took a break, made some good changes to my game and that was badass - it took me only 7k hands to get to +30BI of net profit starting from 0, and I moved up to NL10. I had even harder time while playing NL10, however after some ups and downs I had this limit almost beat (it took me about 122k hands), but then a wild downswing started. Not only I lost all the profit, I fell into deep loss also. Basically I had +25BI of net profit first, and I woke up being -31BI down. Yup, that's no good... Of course it was a mixture of bad luck, bad play, and even worse psychology - what's the most important. Then I took some time off poker again, and came back very sharp, very determined, and feeling like in the best shape in my life. I started to bounce back, but bad mindset started to bounce into my head again.

Not too long ago I dumped 2,5BI in a single hand, when I was 120% sure in real time I am beat, but couldn't find a fold button. After that I told myself - alright sir, enough of this shit, now you're getting a 3 day ban from poker and after that you come back as a solid player and never ever do these donkaments again :f_mad: I thought about what could force me to persist a stable normal player at all times, and the best option I thought about was starting to write a blog. I certainly don't want to be known as "another douchebag who started his from zero to hero blog and went busto in a week", so yeah, this should work fine :] I will be glad to see your comments and answers, no matter if it's hand analysis, discussions about poker, discussions about sex, or simply funny stuff. You're more than welcome to write here, guys and girls! :f_thumbsup:

And here are my goals for the March:
      :diamond: Play 25 days and collect 250 Full Tilt points each day (thus achieving Iron status) - it takes about 2 hours to do - just perfect for a session;
      :diamond: Don't play more than I'm determined to, no matter if I'm winning or losing (250 points - stop, and bye FTP for tonight);
      :diamond: Don't look at the cashier a single time while playing, only when the session is finished;
      :diamond: To use 6 days off poker wisely, improving mindset;
      :diamond: Play my A game at all times, don't get tilted, turn off that "gambler gene";
      :diamond: Destroy any results-oriented thinking in my mind;
      :diamond: Forget about all monetary goals related to poker;
      :diamond: Make a proper update to this thread after every session.

Long term goals:
      :heart: Play poker... LIKE A BOSS!
      :heart: Make profit... LIKE A BOSS!

I'm gonna make a new post after every session that consists of:
      :club: Graph of the day (winnings line, EV line, showdown/non-showdown lines);
      :club: Graph of the month;
      :club: Problem hands (with links to hand evaluation forum, I'm gonna post them there as well);
      :club: Maybe some funny or interesting hands if I got some of these;
      :club: Short review of what was going on during the session, any other stuff that might be interesting.

And I guess that's all for now... See you at the tables and in the forum!

First update - tomorrow :f_biggrin:
  • 52 replies
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Hey Bliausmas,

I'll be following you blog - good luck!
      Joniko
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Aha! Someone else playing NL10 SH Rush. Just don't take all my money please. I will be watching!
    • DrumazDrum
      DrumazDrum
      Bronze
      Sėkmės tau :) Seksim blog'ą :)
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      i am playing currently NL10 rush SH too, will absolutely follow your blog and maybe share me your nick, might play a bit different agains you ;) mines the same as name here
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      I sense an NL10 rush study group.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Hi
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      I'm also playing 6 max rush. ATM still at NL5 but taking some shots at NL10.
      Will follow this with interest. GL at the tables (as long as we are not involved in the same hand :P )
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Hey guys!!!

It's very nice to see so much posts here already, and thank you very much for your cheers!

I didn't expect that, but it appears many people are playing NL10 Rush also. We definitely could discuss some secret ancient techniques for this cursed limit :f_biggrin: My screen name is "Vytautas M" (this is my name actually). It would be nice to know your screen names as well :P

OK, lets move to the business :f_biggrin:

Day 1:

Collect 250 points - completed.
      Play no more - completed.
      Don't look at the cashier while playing - completed.

The session was full of shit as I constantly met aggression from opponents. The deck was pretty cold as my VPIP/PFR stats were 15/11 during 2295 hands. Are you kidding me - these are nit stats! But I was forced to do so basically... It really really really sucks to get your every marginal hand raised or every cbet with AK overs called. Donkeys were killing me today, making me make crying folds one after another when ugly cards kept hitting the board, I also got coolered some times (gutterball vs set of Aces - yeah, why not). Here's my graph for today:

My non-showdown line was terrible because of these never folding opponents. Also I'm not happy with my aggression which was only 1.86. Tomorrow I'm gonna to stricten my play - raise or fold, cbet less and try to read my opponents' mind less - that's not for NL10, when I'm gonna to learn that..?

Had pretty much problem hands. Here are they:

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, K
      2 folds, CO bets $0.30, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1, 1 fold, CO calls $0.70

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, KK overpair, value bets

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, Q
      Hero bets $0.30, 3 folds, SB calls $0.25, 1 fold

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, QQ overpair, 3 donk bets

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q
      2 folds, CO bets $0.35, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1.15, 1 fold, CO calls $0.80

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, QQ overpair, very drawy board, vs maniac

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, K
      3 folds, Button bets $0.25, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.80, Button raises to $1.80, Hero calls $1

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, AK vs very loose stealer

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, 9
      2 folds, Hero bets $0.30, 2 folds, BB calls $0.20

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, 2nd straight vs station

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, K
      4 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero bets $0.30, SB calls $0.20

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, Trip K, extracting value

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, Q
      1 fold, MP bets $0.30, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.20

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, Nut FD + gs
      (Royal flush inside :s_cool: )

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, K
      2 folds, CO bets $0.30, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1, BB calls $0.90, CO calls $0.70

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, AK turned tptk

Preflop: Hero is Button with J, J
      UTG bets $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, 2 folds, UTG raises to $2.40, Hero raises to $22.18 (All-In)

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, JJ stackoff preflop?

Preflop: Hero is MP with J, J
      1 fold, Hero bets $0.30, 3 folds, BB raises to $0.95, Hero calls $0.65

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, Top set, max value

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K, K
      Hero bets $0.30, 2 folds, Button calls $0.30, 1 fold, BB calls $0.20

Whole story: NL10 6max Rush, KK beat?

Yeah, that was many problem hands. I hope next time I'll have less of them in order to discuss and analyze them deeper.

Also, i would like to share with you one of my maneuvers for extracting value. It's open shove. You have a monster hand, you feel that your opponent has a hand also - jam it, if he's dumb enough he will call. This is the perfect example:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($8.69)
      Hero (SB) ($19.64)
      BB ($13.83)
      UTG ($12.42)
      MP ($10.68)
      CO ($11.11)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, J
      UTG calls $0.10, 2 folds, Button calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks

Flop: ($0.40) J, K, 3 (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.40, 1 fold

Turn: ($1.20) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, UTG calls $0.70

River: ($2.60) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $18.44 (All-In), UTG calls $11.22 (All-In)

Total pot: $25.04 | Rake: $1.66

Results:
      Hero had K, J (full house, Kings over Jacks).
      UTG had 8, 5 (flush, King high).
      Outcome: Hero won $23.38

I didn't know if he has a flush of course, but I suspected it somehow. If I make a pot size bet - he smooth calls, if I overbet - he smooth calls, if I shove - he smooth calls :f_biggrin: And if he has air (smth like busted flush draw) - he will fold anyway. Also he might very well call with trip Kings (no way he will release that hand facing a shove), or even second pair with good kicker (he might think like "there are two Kings on the board, so he doesn't have one, and I have second pair - that's pretty much nuts, boy! Call!").

Well, that's enough for today I guess :f_biggrin: I think my first post is wayyyy too long and nobody is going to read and analyze all of it. I was even unable to post it first as it were too much images :f_biggrin: But that's no problem, we learn as we practice, the same with poker, the same with blogging. I'll try to make my next posts smaller, more concentrated and more useful :f_thumbsup:

Good luck everyone!
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      i wish you to have the best luck..
    • VTomukas
      VTomukas
      Bronze
      Tobulėji ne dienom, o valandom, sėkmės :)
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

Thanks for good wishes!
      Tomukai - labai smagu girdėt, dėkui :)

Lets overview some play.

Day 2:

Collect 250 points - completed.
      Play no more - completed.
      Don't look at the cashier while playing - completed.

Good start - half the job, as we say in Lithuania. It certainly is, but my start is really shitty so far :f_biggrin: Here's my graph for today:

Graph of March so far:

Yeah, that's no good at all... Certainly my non-showdown line is going in a horrible way, but I don't feel able to change it. I still lack of good hands (15/11 vpip/prf today again, well that's funny), and the opponents are just wild. They keep 3betting me when I have marginal, or good but not perfect hands, keep floating with crappy hands, keep bluffing, and so on. Moreover I keep bumping into opponents' top range, even against maniacs like 50/40/10.0. Not to mention I miss the flop terribly often. And when I kinda hit it - I face a reraise or a donkbet. When I try to pot control when facing donkbets - I go to showdown only to see that I had the best hand till the river came. It became so hard to extract value...
      I don't want to believe that I'm simply outplayed, because all this shit is happening just now, so if they weren't outplaying me like 200k hands before, why present time is different?
      I feel really bad about all this shit, and of course when you constantly get punished like this - it makes feel you tired, you start tilting and doing mistakes. However I think I was keeping away from tilt pretty well these days, and that's probably of strict session schedule.
      In the next session I'm gonna tighten up even more than today. I managed to raise up my AF a little bit, but for the next time my goal is to make it even bigger, like 4. Hopefully I will catch some more good hands and don't bump into opponents' top range anymore. We willl see!

And here is the hand of the day:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($9.60)
      BB ($30.66)
      UTG ($34.41)
      Hero (MP) ($10.79)
      CO ($8.66)
      Button ($7.86)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9, 10
      1 fold, Hero bets $0.30, 2 folds, SB calls $0.25, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.90) J, 4, 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, 1 fold, BB calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.10) 6 (2 players)
      BB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

River: ($5.10) 2 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4, BB calls $4

Total pot: $13.10 | Rake: $0.87

Results:
      BB had 10, A (high card, Ace).
      Hero had 9, 10 (high card, Jack).
      Outcome: BB won $12.23

I didn't see a good reason for him to donk out so big when the turn came, so I put him on kinda marginal hand, like flush draw, or maybe smth like A6. I don't really think he would donk bet here with J6, 86, 66, or a straight - it would make much more sense if he would check/raise these hands as the turn came pretty blank and didn't complete any flush draws he might be afraid of. And when the river comes completely blank and he checks - well, lets try to kick out his busted draw, or that small pair. And when he called here with A high I couldn't even believe it... Well if that shit is called exploiting - then yes, I honestly admit I'm exploited.

Not too much problem hands, just two:
      NL10 6max Rush, AA on paired board

NL10 6max Rush, Top pair vs some donkbets

I'm not sure if I will play tomorrow, but probably I will. You gotta have the guts if you want to move forward :)

Good luck everyone!
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      how can you be so calm when you obviously play pretty well and donks keep punish with their bets?you need to advice me about that
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Being calm outside doesn't really help, as I'm still pissed of that inside, that feel of misery never goes away when you're being beat... But anyways, I think it depends more on your character and genes, like I'm Northern guy, it's uncommon for us to express our emotions loudly. And you're Southern guy, so probably more hot blooded :)
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      i admire you...you have lost enough money from donks and you still have the courage not to do things i have done...i really admire you man
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it. But don't fall into misery yourself, take a break, forget poker for some time, and make a strong comeback. These shitty periods are inevitable for everybody.
      And after you come back we could certainly team up for crushing this limit :)
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it. But don't fall into misery yourself, take a break, forget poker for some time, and make a strong comeback. These shitty periods are inevitable for everybody.
      And after you come back we could certainly team up for crushing this limit :)
      thanks for your advice and for your time but i think cash games in these levels are soul crushers and i think i will stick in sit n gos that i show a very nice profit.and when i have a bankroll to play in limits that they dont call 9-2 cuz they are suited then i ll play again cash.but thanks anyway :)
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belthazorrrr
      how can you be so calm when you obviously play pretty well and donks keep punish with their bets?you need to advice me about that
      First and foremost important factor is your BR in relation to the limit you're playing. If you're having an aggressive BRM and you loose in such spots it is gonna hurt you a whole lot, while having a solid BR for your limit and losing in such manner will not only make you less irritated, but in some cases even happy just for the mere fact you played the hand perfectly. For example, I have around 3k$ and I'm playing NL50 FR Rush (with aggressive BRM; 30BI; I could try NL100, but I tend not to), which means I have like 60BI for my current level and loosing even like 200$ in a way that is utterly ridicioulus doesn't upset me (well of course it does, but not as much as if I would have lost 4BI on NL100 with the same BR).

And by having proper BR, there is absolutely no need for taking a longer break from poker due to such suckouts (IN FACT, you should be taking longer breaks from poker if you are loosing way to much playing poorly!!!)

Of course noone can argue that individual reaction is also depended on ones charatcer and genes, but this affect can really be minimalised with proper attitude!

Anyway, stricktly on-topic: Interesting blog, it seems you're really taking things seriously, cautiously and with common sense, therefore I wish you the best of luck! Though I can't promise I will be observing your blog on a regular basis, I can guarantee I will take a look at it once in a while!

Kind Regards,

Jkob.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Sure, always do what you're best at. Best of luck! :)
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belthazorrrr
      in limits that they dont call 9-2 cuz they are suited
      But these ppl are the ones you'll be making the most money out of! ;)