losing confidence

• blax41
      blax41
      Bronze
      Hello all. I`m wondering how you all keep your confidence when playing poker ?
      Sometimes when I loose 1-2 buy-ins I start to lose my confidence and I`m kind of scared to call or raise some pots or bets. When I`m at this state I loose my attention to the table a little bit.
      Any advices what to do except taking a break (doesnt really help) ?
  • 6 replies
    • ajakking789
      ajakking789
      Bronze
      hey man, losing a hand can have an effect on your gameplay but u just got to try to ignore it otherwise your lose more cash. so ignore the lost and keep playing
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      If you're in a slump and it seems every hand is going against you, take a break for a few days.

When your head has cleared a bit, re-read some strategy articles or look at the hand eval forums for a couple of days ( when in the HE forums, think about what advice you'd give the guy posting before reading the judge's comments).

This should build up your confidence a little, then re-enter the fold. See these slumps as a chance to brush up on your game. Though whatever you do, don't register for a SnG/Tourney with a negative mindset, or that burning feeling you get when you need to win back some buy-ins.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Your confidence should grow with experience and improvement. The more time you play, the more time you are able to see if you played good and your opponent just sucked out, or you actually played bad. Of course you're gonna hit very bad downswings from time to time (2BI is a joke compared to these), and it's really soul-crushing. But keep improving, when you know you play good downswings aren't that harsh. Personally for me posting hands helps a lot. If I hit a downswing, post problem hands in evaluation forum and judge says - yup, nice hands - I'm really glad because I played good and I should win in the long term with this play.
      Also it is possible that you will face huge downswings, and those definitely will affect your self-confidence. But that happens to everyone, you just have to live through it, not much you can do, and taking a break helps you not to break :)
    • cruizer
      cruizer
      Bronze
      I tend to just click "Mark for Review" in PT3 HUD and forget about it.

After the session, check marked hands and see if they were played correctly. If not, learn from the mistakes. Otherwise, take comfort in that you played correctly and that your green graph will follow sooner or later. :)
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      I just cant get a break. I dont tilt until i already have lost 5 BI's at which point i stop playing.

I make the correct calls and just cant make any profit.

1 day im up next im down next im up next im down

This never stops.

How i can make money from this game i dont know. If i was tilting i would completely understand but i make every call as i should and never move anywhere.

You shove with AA earn 1 BI, you shove with AA he makes a flush.
      You shove with cowboys you earn 1 BI hitting set
      You shove with cowboys LP has A's

I get AA limp in, check river no bets, check turn no bets min bet everyone folds. GG blindsteal.
    • bogie
      bogie
      Global
      Originally posted by Kodark
      I just cant get a break. I dont tilt until i already have lost 5 BI's at which point i stop playing.

I make the correct calls and just cant make any profit.

1 day im up next im down next im up next im down

This never stops.

How i can make money from this game i dont know. If i was tilting i would completely understand but i make every call as i should and never move anywhere.

You shove with AA earn 1 BI, you shove with AA he makes a flush.
      You shove with cowboys you earn 1 BI hitting set
      You shove with cowboys LP has A's

I get AA limp in, check river no bets, check turn no bets min bet everyone folds. GG blindsteal.
      You should read /psychology articles in the forum