[NL2-NL10] NL25 Rush Street on river

• RandomGenerator
      RandomGenerator
      Bronze
      Stats. Hands/VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS = 60/23/14/0,4/38.

It was defenitely the fold on the river, right?

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer
      SB ($10.17)
      BB ($12.03)
      UTG ($29.48)
      UTG+1 ($4.89)
      UTG+2 ($37.97)
      MP1 ($4.52)
      Hero ($10.90)
      CO ($23.48)
      BTN ($28.60)

Dealt to Hero Q:heart: K:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.75, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $0.50

FLOP ($1.60) 3:spade: Q:spade: A:diamond:

BB checks, Hero bets $1, BB calls $1

TURN ($3.60) 3:spade: Q:spade: A:diamond: T:spade:

BB checks, Hero bets $2, BB calls $2

RIVER ($7.60) 3:spade: Q:spade: A:diamond: T:spade: J:club:

BB bets $7.60, Hero calls $7.15 (AI)
  • 10 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hey RG,

May I know the reason you bet the Turn versus a 23/14 player?

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • RandomGenerator
      RandomGenerator
      Bronze
      Well, I thought since he just called on the button without position and just called on flop - he definetely has something but usually it's not the ace.
      So in fact pretty often I have the best hand here, so I bet for value.

Since I may have the best hand here I don't want to just give up. Check behind and call on the river is not a very good option here since he may bet about a pot and I don't want to call this much with my hand and also there are really a lot of scary cards for me may come on the river. So i prefer to bet on the turn and fold to a raise. Or fold to almost any bet on the river if I'm called again on the turn.

Also since there are already possible flash and straight on the turn I can actually even bluff out a stronger hand.

So I think the main reason I bet the turn is that I didn't want to give up with the best hand. The bet would tell me where I am right now. Do you think that against his range I should just give up?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      No I think I disagree here

He either calls with a flushdraw on the Flop or an Ace. Since you have a Queen it is unlikely he can call with a queen. I don't think he will call the flopbet with 6:h5 here

so I found the turnbet purely spewing and -EV so I just check/back the Turn

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • RandomGenerator
      RandomGenerator
      Bronze
      okay. in the same situation if I check behind the turn and he shoves on the river again. Should I call?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RandomGenerator
      okay. in the same situation if I check behind the turn and he shoves on the river again. Should I call?
      On that specific card? With what kind of range would you think he will shove on the River?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Can you please reply so I can judge this accordingly :) Thanks!
    • RandomGenerator
      RandomGenerator
      Bronze
      Actually, I have no idea. Since I check behind the turn his shove is much larger than the pot and it is pretty stupid to shove the nut flush this way since it is very unprobable that I will call it.
      I don't think that a desperate bluff may also have this bet size. So I have no idea with which hand may he shove on the river. probably only a nut flush.

may I know what do you think of his river shove range?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Well I think it is not 1pair, 2pair and set hands so his range is indeed polarized BUT the value hands (flushes) are betting 100% of the time while bluffs have reduced frequency and also have different sizing (eg. some fish bluffbet 10% for example, some shove, some bet 50% as ;) )

so I just fold on his shove mostly but I can't blame you for calling
      ofcourse this statement is void if you have reads/tells/statistics telling you that he is always bluffing the river which makes it profitable for you to call becaues you get 2:1

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • RandomGenerator
      RandomGenerator
      Bronze
      wow. he indeed had pocket jacks. can you please explain how did you determine that he will shove with the set in this situation?

because on his place I'd probably play check/call with the set in such situation or maybe try to put a small block bet.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I think he isn't shoving a set here because he hardly has one (33 would c/R) so I think you read my statement too quickly :)

If he has a set played like this, i think its horribly played :)

Best regards,
      Gerv