AHhhh (first $50 deposit)

• chocopoke
      chocopoke
      Bronze
      So I just submitted everything and if I really get a $50 free starting capital thats awesome! One problem though: I am deadly scared of playing poker!!!!! I have been playing play money for a while but the idea of playing real money scares me hardddd :( :( :(

Hope Im a :s_cool: and not a :f_cry:
  • 9 replies
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      very good fear will help you ! no joke
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      Get yo strategy down and you atleast wont go mad busto, before you start playing you should have basic graph of either the Short Stack Strategy(SSS),
      the Mid Stack Strategy(MSS) or the Big Stack Strategy(You guessed it the BSS).

They rank from MSS/SSS being more beginner friendly/preflop focused to BSS being focused on seeing slightly more flops and using skilled post flop play.

I am currently an MSSer.

GLHF in poker!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey mate,

One of the most important things for people who havn't "gambled" before is to get over the "zomgitsmoney" problem.

The best way to do this is to treat poker as a strategy game, a playstation game, or whatever games you like to play outside of poker. You have got $50 which is credits. Your credits are bought and there is no going back.

You learn about the game, you try to improve and after hard work and determination you have more credits, you gradually build and build your credits up until you have 10x your starting credits (easy enough in most games so why not this one?) you have completed your challenge successfully.

In what other game do you get websites with millions of members trying to help you out?

In what other games are there literally 10's of thousands of articles and videos giving you advice?

In what other games can you actually hire psychology coaches?

In what other game can you play 20x the game so you can win 20x the amount in the same time? I'm pretty sure its impossible to play 20 games of fifa simultaneously!

In what other game could you cash out $1000+ at the end?

Treat poker as a skill game, don't care about betting X$, you are betting X amount of BB's and Y% of your bankroll.

You can beat the game and you will beat the game.

Let us know how you get on?
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      I Wana say i can think of atleast one game that that all applies to apart from maybe the bit about 20games at once, but at the top level id say the speed at which 24 tables is about the speed required if not more.

STARCRAFT 2!

That game has the most helpful and productive community i've ever seen, and alot of people on here could take a leaf from there books, alot of the OP's are not so good here with not much effort on the part of the posters.

They have coaches, and also a stupid amount of learning materials.

If your good, you'll shine and you will earn money from the HUNDREDS of tournaments.

I Think the crossover here between the two is huge just look at the sponsorship of the TSL by pokerstrategy, and the poker players who came from starcraft! ElkY came from starcraft.
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      Originally posted by foulkezboyz
      I Wana say i can think of atleast one game that that all applies to apart from maybe the bit about 20games at once, but at the top level id say the speed at which 24 tables is about the speed required if not more.

STARCRAFT 2!

That game has the most helpful and productive community i've ever seen, and alot of people on here could take a leaf from there books, alot of the OP's are not so good here with not much effort on the part of the posters.

They have coaches, and also a stupid amount of learning materials.

If your good, you'll shine and you will earn money from the HUNDREDS of tournaments.

I Think the crossover here between the two is huge just look at the sponsorship of the TSL by pokerstrategy, and the poker players who came from starcraft! ElkY came from starcraft.
      and chiren80 comes from WoW :D
    • DocBrown112
      DocBrown112
      Bronze
      Well, If you pass the poker test and the ID test, the $50 is most certainly for real - I can vouch for that.

If you are afraid of playing with real money, you should start out with the lowest BI SNGs or MTTs. I don't know where you will be playing, but on Stars fx. there are a bunch of cheap tourneys, where you buy a stack of chips and play with them. I think it is clearly the best way to get over the initial problems.

Take it from me, I started at FL cash game and lost a bunch, not knowing what the h... I was doing. :f_eek:

Also, asking for advice on the forum is a great way to start out in the best possible way.

Best regards
      DocBrown112
    • MischiefMarg
      MischiefMarg
      Bronze
      Nervous is a good thing.

Means hopefully you wont go blowing your bankroll in 1 hit.

Take it slow and think of what you want to play. Ring (cash) games or Tournies (Mtt or sng).

Even in play money games you will feel what is comfortable to you.

Take that to the next step and start at the low buy ins.

GL GL may you make it grow >^_^< :s_grin:
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      [...]
      Great post.

Originally posted by MischiefMarg
      Even in play money games you will feel what is comfortable to you.
      Adding to that point... while your $50 is still on the way (seems to be the case), you may want to try out the strategies in play money games just to get the hang of them.
      From personal experience, I'd say that it's a good way to get in your head that "they work", which will have a positive psychological impact... which hardly can be a bad thing. :s_wink:

Good luck.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hello guys,

Really happy to see how you all help out and post your thoughts! Thank you so much. This should be a great thread to all our newbies who are a little afraid of the first steps. Keep it growing! =)

Ingrid