are sngs a crappy way to build money?

• 4 replies
    • chenny8888
      400+ in a couple of days is either:

a lot of games OR
      real hot swing OR
      wrong BRM.

sorry if that debunks anyone who has achieved this.

it is my personal opinion that SnGs are far more difficult to master than the SSS and BSS strategies, and even though at the start you may at all times be BETTER than ALL the other players, you will not necessarily have a ridiculous edge.
    • macydus2
      IMO although I'm hardly a great poker authority, SNGs are one of the best ways for beginers to learn texas hold'em paticularly those interested in multi-table tournaments. Playing tight is right till you get down till 4 or 5 players before loosing up gives the beginners a chance to experience alot of different sides of tournament play in a relatively securer setting I.E Early stages very tight, Late stages loosing up, stealing, bubble play, 3 handed, HU, shortstack etc. etc. They are also much more likely to get to the later stages, 3 handed, HU etc. playing SNG's than MTT so it provides a better education. As decent cash game play is widely different from tournament play I think SNG's are the way to go if you are interested in tournament play.

SNG's can also provide a steady income much the same as cash games for players and I guess it really depends on your style, what your comfortable with and how good you are at it!

and even though at the start you may at all times be BETTER than ALL the other players, you will not necessarily have a ridiculous edge.

If this is true you will have a ridiculous edge! OFC assuming you are BETTER at stealing, re-stealing, HU, 4 handed, 3 handed, using ICM etc. etc. there is no reason why you wouldnt have a riduclous edge its just that other theories, style of play and methods constitute a ridiculas edge in SNGs than in cash games

The difference is in cash games you play for EV on any given situation whereas SNGs you play to conserve chips and win 1st as often as possuble such as passing ip a 60% edge early on in the SNG, dealing with increasing blinds etc.

I do agree however that it is easiser to master SSS than SNGs wouldn't be so sure about BSS as really that depends on what you take too! Phill helmuth = Great MTT player absolutly rubbish NL Cash game player although he would deny that fact lol
    • snowylee
      Woah there macydus! Phil's the greatest holdemplayer alive! He told me so! ;D
    • helemaalnicks
      I do agree with chenny. sss is easier for a beginner. S&G dynamic is something you have to learn a lot about before you get it.

And your edge is never so great in a s&g. I mean, at some point the tourney is decided by a coinflip anyway, and that means the downswings can be horrible (i've suffered from over 30BI downswings). I do believe however, that s&g's are more profitable, since the play is quite fast, and it's not very hard to win with mechanized play. You won't see a lot of marginal situations on s&g's, which is why multitabling is quite easy here.