Phil Ivey Boycotts WSOP

• Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Phil Ivey has just released a statement on Facebook regarding his decision to boycott this years WSOP and is also suing Tiltware.

"For many years, I have been proud to call myself a poker player. This great sport has taken me to places I only imagined going and I have been blessed with much success. It is therefore with deep regret that I believe I am compelled to release the following statement.

I am deeply disappointed and embarrassed that Full Tilt players have not been paid money they are owed. I am equally embarrassed that as a result many players cannot compete in tournaments and have suffered economic harm.

I am not playing in the World Series of Poker as I do not believe it is fair that I compete when others cannot. I am doing everything I can to seek a solution to the problem as quickly as possible.

My name and reputation have been dragged through the mud, through the inactivity and indecision of others and on behalf of all poker players I refuse to remain silent any longer. I have electronically filed a lawsuit against Tiltware related to the unsettled player accounts. As I am sure the public can imagine, this was not an easy decision for me.

I wholeheartedly refuse to accept non-action as to repayment of players funds and I am angered that people who have supported me throughout my career have been treated so poorly.

I sincerely hope this statement will ignite those capable of resolving the problems into immediate action and would like to clarify that until a solution is reached that cements the security of all players, both US and International, I will, as I have for the last six weeks, dedicate the entirety of my time and efforts to finding a solution for those who have been wronged by the painfully slow process of repayment.” - Phil Ivey

Read the story in the link below and add Phil Ivey on Facebook to see the original announcement.

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2011/05/phil-ivey-suing-tiltware-boycotting-the-2011-wsop-10501.htm

Phil Ivey's Facebook (Confirmed Official Page)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/philivey

Discuss!!!!
  • 23 replies
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      go Phil! now that's a pro, real pro, with a heart talking. :f_cool:
    • randomdonk
      randomdonk
      Bronze
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Just when you thought Phil Ivey couldn't get any better.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      props to ivey
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      Epic statement. Much respect to Ivey.

Does anyone know the details to why FT haven't been able to pay out like Stars have? Is their situation any different? I mean the way they have remained silent for months on this issue has completely destroyed FT as a brand which they have worked so hard to build over years. Makes no sense to handle black friday so poorly if they could have returned funds by now. ?(

FT have no chance of recovery even if/when poker is legalized in the US.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Andyuk18
      Epic statement. Much respect to Ivey.

Does anyone know the details to why FT haven't been able to pay out like Stars have? Is their situation any different? I mean the way they have remained silent for months on this issue has completely destroyed FT as a brand which they have worked so hard to build over years. Makes no sense to handle black friday so poorly if they could have returned funds by now. ?(

FT have no chance of recovery even if/when poker is legalized in the US.
      US players have more money on FTP? Transaction limits maybe, issues with the bank maybe...
    • dam192
      dam192
      Bronze
      great move... He's one of the best but he don't forget the rest of the players... Admirable.
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Phil Ivey is the best and also a very nice guy too.

I loved the way on HSP they asked the players who is the best player in the world and every single one of them said Phil Ivey.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      he gets respect from me here,

I've never really been a fan of Ivey i think hes a great, magnificant player im just not a fan but this statement raises my opinion of him so much.

I think this shows he does care alot about people affected by something he genuinly believed in and about the worldwide poker community as a whole.

Id buy him a pint.

Didnt he make a bet last year before wsop that he would win x amount of bracelets in 2 years for a silly amount of money? Is he gonna pay up on this or carry it over to next year or what?
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      the stone cold nuts
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly

Didnt he make a bet last year before wsop that he would win x amount of bracelets in 2 years for a silly amount of money? Is he gonna pay up on this or carry it over to next year or what?
      Yeah im pretty sure he did. I don't know whats gonna happen. Although I guess if his lawsuit gets through, he couldn't care less about the props lol.

Maybe he just bought out of them.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      PRETTY sure he's not boycotting WSOP...
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by datsmahname
      PRETTY sure he's not boycotting WSOP...
      go on....
    • PMental
      PMental
      Bronze
      Yeah please elaborate on that... he's said himself he will boycott WSOP, what makes you think different? I doubt he'd go out publically and lie about such a thing...
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      agreed, if he did go on to play the wsop now his reputation would be greatly impacted, and his lawsuit would have no backbone to it.
    • clsrtotilt
      clsrtotilt
      Bronze
      mucho props to Phil Ivey, but so many bracelet bets gone by...
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Laggsy
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly

Yeah im pretty sure he did. I don't know whats gonna happen. Although I guess if his lawsuit gets through, he couldn't care less about the props lol.

Maybe he just bought out of them.
      This is true but i was wondering more about if he could do the challenge or not rather than how much he would win/lose if he did it/failed
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Awesome course of action but he is still a jerk.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      http://andrewrobl.com/blog/2011/06/01/m … n-payment/