Sample hands discussion

• xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      It is quite noticeable that very few people leave their advices in SSS sample hands forum. From the 3rd perspective it is not that interesting to evaluate a hand after the hand judge did it, unless he made a mistake. The solution is quite obvious (stolen from the russian ps forum :) ) - to make a delay in evaluation, so others can leave their opinions. 1 day delay should be enough to give time for those, who are willing to share their opinion and practice in evaluating.

I guess it is also obvious that participating in hand discussion is way more effective then just reading it.

so, feel free to discuss this idea)
  • 6 replies
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      I like that idea. I like reading advice from the higher up members as well as the admin's/mod's
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      mhhokaaay :) Due to the incredible popularity and recognition my idea recieved in the masses (thanks goes to Ave27 for his lonely reply, though, I kindly ask you to read the text I am going to type :) ) I decided to extend my idea. This will probably be a long post and for those, who are too lazy to read it, I will highlight the most important parts.

No need to say that I am a big fun of hands posting. This is mainly because I became the winning player since I`ve posted my first hand. However, I was ignoring this extremly powerfull educational source for quite long. Looking back in the past I found some reasons for that:

- overconfidence
      SS strategy is very simple, what questions could we possibly have?

This huge leak leads towards the end of you poker career after playing 50k hands breakeven. You should probably take it as a gospel : YOU ARE MAKING MISTAKES. The shortest and the most effective way to fix them is to post your hands. I don`t want to go deeper on this one, since my post will become too large (besides, it is about discussion, not posting :) ) But check those links:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/135/3/#h2_1
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/content/Essay_00990 (point 4.)
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/content/Motivation-to-learn_01391 (end of the article)

- lazyness :)
      You have to figure out how texas grabem works, or even worse if it doesn`t work with your pokeroom. Then you have to find a hand converter, post the hand, think about your explanation. Lots of work to do :D

- lack of motivation
      we hear all the time that it is very important, but we probably won`t feel the result right there. Well, I have a good news for you:
      you will feel the result in a VERY SHORT TERM.
      But with the assumption that you put some effort, meaning posting hands on everyday basis and actively participating in the discussion.

For those reasons, I strongly advice everyone to start discussing hands, since it requires way less effort and time, but will boost the quality of your game and help to find motivation for posting hands.

Advantages of hands discussion:

- requires less time (read the hand -> post your opinion -> check other replies/hand judge reply -> ask questions if needed)

- effectivness
      I will extend this one.
      Lets think of beginner, who is just reading sample hands forum. I doubt that a lof of people think of their own play in this situation before reading the hand judge`s evaluation. I mean, it is like reading the answers for the math test. When you try to solve it, it seems very hard, but when you are checking the answers it is now seems so easy and obvious (note, that if you quickly go through the answers before the test, it won`t help you much again).

Leave one post (even if it is the simple "nh") and you will return to this hand (at least to check whether its ok or not) at least once ! Participate in discussion and YOU WILL CHECK THE SAME HAND 2,3,4,5 TIMES ! Try to proove me now that just reading the hand has the same effectivness :)

- fixing leaks
      scenario 1: you posted "nh", judge posted "nh" (deep evaluation :) )
      Fine, you recieved a free confirmation that your play is correct in the particular spot. isn`t this nice?))

scenario 2: you posted "nh", judge posted "not really"
      GREAT! you not only discovered a possible leak in your play, but on top of that recieve absolutely FREE :) explanation/advice (2 points of experience). Now you have obvious motivation to ask a question and figure out details. And this costs you only 2 letters NH :)
      DON`T BE AFRAID OF POSTING THE WRONG ADVICE ! BE HAPPY ABOUT IT!

Still don`t want to buy? lets proceed :D

(here I should highlight again, that if you just read a hand, most probably you will find the solution quite easy and obvious)

- contributing to the hand evaluation
      this works especially when your advice is wrong . Hand judge will explain why it is wrong, so even hand poster will benefit, since he will have more explicit explanation ! Your post will likely trigger the discussion around the hand. PLEASE DO IT)

- showing a good example to the others

- and eventually, you can become a greater hand judge, so me and berliner will have to retire :D :D

But be carefull with the last one, since you will be evaluating my hands from dusk till down :D :D
    • abundance211
      abundance211
      Bronze
      I agree with Ave, it is a great idea.

I also gave it a try today and tried to evaluated a couple of hands. You can really learn much more this way then just reading the judge's evaluation. And it feels especially good when the judge confirms your evaluation.

Edit: Hi xylere, you preceded my comment to your initial post by just 1 minute. I don't think that you and/or berliner will have to retire because of me though, but I will do my best to continue giving my opinion on posted hands.

So, keep doing the good work
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey abundance,

I noticed your attempt and wanted to mention it in a sample hands forum, but I`ll do it here now: GOOD JOB! please, keep it up ! If it helps you to become a better player (it will for sure), then it is worth it.

I just need a confiramtion from the Big Boss (guess who? :D ) that it is ok with him.
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      I read the follow up post as well :) . Its just a great idea! by giving our idea's and having them judged as well, its like playing all tho hands as well.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      Hey abundance,

I noticed your attempt and wanted to mention it in a sample hands forum, but I`ll do it here now: GOOD JOB! please, keep it up ! If it helps you to become a better player (it will for sure), then it is worth it.

I just need a confiramtion from the Big Boss (guess who? :D ) that it is ok with him.
      ???

:D

Great job xylere! We will publish an article about posting hands on Saturday. Hope it's not completely needless ;)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81