This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

What is your motivation to play poker?

• Poll
    • What is your motivation to play poker?

play poker for a living
        37%
        have a nice side job
        33%
        love the challenge of the strategic game
        21%
        play poker just for fun
        8%
        sit at a High Stakes Poker table
        2%
      Total: 92 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Do you want to sit at a High Stakes Poker table, play poker for a living, have a nice side job or do you love the challenge of the strategic game? Let us know in our weekly vote.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
  • 11 replies
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      what im trying to do atm, play for my breakfast, clothes and electric bill for now. :D
    • Mitokonder
      Mitokonder
      Bronze
      Well they all are good options, but atm I have to stick with the *play poker for strategic experience*. Can't be *side-job* because I'm too lazy to get a job :D ..in the future though it would be nice to earn little extra money after dayjob :)
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      1) Side income
      2) Strategic experience

I would never want to become a pro though. Right now, my distant dream is for me to reach 20k by somewhere early 2009 so I finance a year of university in the US by poker for the most part as it's probably my only option to accumulate that amount of money while still studying in Belgium :)
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      My main motivation is to some day (hopefully soon) play for a living. I'm currently learning and getting better all the time, and right now I make ~100$ /day playing ~2.5-3.5h /day on NL50, PLO50 and 25. I should move up soon (already have the BR, just waiting for the new PA to come out), and I'm aiming for $5k /mth (we'll see if that's realistic :D ). Anywho I've got about 1.5 years until I finish my studies, so that gives me more than enough time to steadily move up and improve my game.
      But all in all I'd love to play for a living, mostly because I don't want to study for another 4 years or so, and also cause there's not many jobs that interest me much, and if I'm not motivated, I don't work/concentrate well ^^,
      Also playing or taking a break whenever I want and having a very flexible schedule is a nice prospect

edit: forgot to add I also love the "strategic" challenge

sorry for boring you with the long post ^^
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Wow, can't I chose 3? Pretty please? ^_^.
      So, I would like to play for a living, for the strategic experience and because I love to play poker, oh, and I guess it's 4, I would like to be able to play in big tournaments and get good finishes :) .
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      I think if you don't at least enjoy to play that everything else becomes irrelevant. So that's my number 1 reason. But the money's not that bad either, of course ;)
    • drachdudek
      drachdudek
      Bronze
      side job, strategic experience, i dont think i can be a pro probably a lot of effort and renouncements. but anway poker is most of all playing and having fun:)
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      For now my only realistic goal is a side job.Im a student and my scolarship isnt enough to cover all my needs...And of course, my dream is to be playing it for a living,but having enough time to do things too :tongue:
    • kajzr
      kajzr
      Bronze
      I think in my case is playing poker for living quite realistic idea. Thats because i am living in a very cheap country. If i will make at least 1000$ stable per month, i can play poker for living.
    • sandblaster
      sandblaster
      Bronze