MSS Winner Part 1 Questions

• HoroHoro
      HoroHoro
      Bronze
      I was watching the MSS Winner Part I video, and had some questions regarding the play shown by Subar. He indicated at the start of the play session (9:29) that he will be following the charts during the session.

Around 14:16, he has AQs, and flops a flush draw with middle pair against 2 opponents. One of the opponents raises, and Subar proceeds to go all in. With a flush draw against two opponents the charts indicate to play bet/fold. So seeing as how the opponent raised on the flop, he should give up the hand?

At 16:06, he has KQs in the SB facing a raise from the button. He says that after consulting the chart KQ is strong enough to resteal with. I'm confused as I have the chart open, and it seems to me that a SB KQ indicates that you can steal, but not resteal. Also the 3-betting chart does not include KQ when facing a raise from the button. Am I not reading these charts correctly?

At 25:35 he picks up a freeplay with J8. And gets top pair with an 8 kicker on the turn. If I recall correctly from the articles its only really a top pair in the postflop chart if it has a J+ kicker?
  • 6 replies
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      In the first hand, a flush draw with middle pair is much stronger than just a flush draw, and can be classified as a monster. It has some showdown value, and gives more outs (2 for a set at least).

I noticed the second point too. It's a plausible resteal, but I remember thinking that it was not a system play.

In the third hand, if I recall, the system says not to invest in freeplay hands unless they are monsters. There are at least three reasons to be very demanding - the bb is out of position against anyone except the sb, you do not have the initiative, and the kicker can be anything with the random hand you have. The play with J8 seems significantly off the basic charts.

Logically, there is an exception to the last example. If you are playing in the bb against someone who limps in the sb, you have position, and the opponent has no real initiative, so you can surely be more aggressive.
    • HoroHoro
      HoroHoro
      Bronze
      Thanks for the info,

Yea I didn't think of the first hand as being a monster, you make a good point. In that case I can see why it was played that way.

I'm trying to get a handle on MSS and so far its been one step forward one step back, but its all a learning process. I'm hoping I can pick up my game and squeeze out a reasonable winrate. :)
    • Kuldhaamer
      Kuldhaamer
      Bronze
      Just started to watch the video.. and here is the question..
      Almost at the beginning he suggests that we should buy-in with the minimum amount possible ? For example not 40bb but 30bb if the site allows it.
      Doesn't it mean that we have to refill back to 30bb after every blind ?

I know this question has been probably asked before but i couldn't find an answer to it.

Edit: Also is it really better to play with 30bb than 40bb ? If so then why? Actually this was the question i meant to ask earlier.

Thanks and Regards,
      Kuldhaamer
    • p0rkus
      p0rkus
      Bronze
      Keep watching the series, you will see him talk about buy-ins and top-ups some more.
      Also - Subar doesn't follow the basic strategy COMPLETELY because he is a very experienced player and wants to give you a preview of some things that you can do to start developing a more advanced poker game (once you are ready)
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      I don't get it. What kind of midstack strategy is the one whith 30bb. Can you 3bet bluff? Well, I guess you can raise 4bb to 8-9bb at higher stacks and not get calls but for micro it doesn't work. Also shoving 30bb to win 4bb sux, so you can't possibly 3bet bluff. With a normal raise you'd get odds to call a 4bet against any range.
      I'd really love it if he offered more insight about buying for 30bb. I hope we'll see it in the next video because I'd really love to try some cheap shots at a higher limit.
    • p0rkus
      p0rkus
      Bronze
      well try to remember that these vids are for beginners, you can find other videos by him that have been translated.