can you really make money?

• cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      Hi, i was wondering if you can really make the money playing poker... I understood the rule of the dice with the 22 facets.. saying that in the long term you can win a percentage according to your account.
      today maybe was just a very bad day, i played some games and very bad luck. all inn A K and the guy has KK, another time A Q push on the button and he got a set of T. At the beginning of the game when the blind are small it is easier, but later, I guess it is more a game of luck because with the push or fold it is not easy to know when the other players have a better hand. how much money can you make on poker?
  • 35 replies
    • Melissaash
      Melissaash
      Bronze
      hi ya
      when your deep in... the cards dont matter as much as you think, there are times you just should push any 2 cards and times where you fold AQ etc.
      take time to read whats on offer, it may seem a daunting task at first, but i assure you its worth it.
      i joined just over 2 weeks ago, got $50 free and deposited $50 so i could get rakeback
      in two weeks my bankroll has moved up to just over $300 plus around $40 rakeback, so yes it can be done, but if you are new there is plenty of ground work for you to do if you are serious about making a profit

good luck
    • mayapnd
      mayapnd
      Bronze
      If you want to play poker profitable, make money and after some time even live off poker, you have to commit yourself to learning, and gaining the right mindset to play poker. You have to understand that only after playing a huge ammount of hands you can expect to 'beat' variance, and by a huge ammount of hands i mean 100k+ hands. If you play tourneys and freerolls you can expect even higher variance, and only by playing in the right, +EV way you will win money on the long term, because on the short term everyone can win.
      If you don't understand terms i've written, you could start by reading the articles and viewing the videos for beginners on this site, and I recommend 'The Poker Mindset', a book that puts facts upstraight and explains lots of important stuff on how you should look at poker.

If you want to start playing poker, i suggest you do what i said above, otherwise you will be much more likely a losing player. To answer your question straightforward: YES! You can make money playing poker, and if you do it the right way, you could even make loads of them, but you need a strong mind and lots of determination to achieve that!

Good luck in your new poker career!
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      I have started to play poker 6months ago with friends, I have always loved this game but did not read any book or theory, I guess this is what I need to focus now.. I guess it is like going to an uni exam without studying... how much time do you dedicate on poker every day or every week? how much practice and study?
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      some great responses in this thread. i especially like this one:

you have to commit yourself to learning, and gaining the right mindset to play poker

my personal GOAL (different from reality ofc :f_biggrin: ) is to spend 6hr/day on poker, with at least 2 hrs of that on study. not working out so far. i need better time management.
    • mayapnd
      mayapnd
      Bronze
      how much time do you dedicate on poker every day or every week? how much practice and study?
      It only depends on how much free time you got from your job/school really and how much you are willing to put into poker. As a beginner you should probably try going for 50%/50% studying/playing or something like that, at least until you start getting the hang of it (but don't think that after one good session when you win you got the hang of it, play let's say 10-20k hands and see how you did, post hands in the evaluation forum etc).

I also would suggest reading some of the blogs here as they tend to really motivate you, and some of them like purplefizz's blog ( :f_love: ) have some really really great thoughts in them, that not only make you think about your poker game but also about day to day stuff irl.
    • qingfeng456
      qingfeng456
      Basic
      how much time do you dedicate on poker every day or every week? how much practice and study?
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      about 3.50 playing, 3.50 studying.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mayapnd
      It only depends on how much free time you got from your job/school really and how much you are willing to put into poker. As a beginner you should probably try going for 50%/50% studying/playing or something like that, at least until you start getting the hang of it (but don't think that after one good session when you win you got the hang of it, play let's say 10-20k hands and see how you did, post hands in the evaluation forum etc).

I also would suggest reading some of the blogs here as they tend to really motivate you, and some of them like purplefizz's blog ( :f_love: ) have some really really great thoughts in them, that not only make you think about your poker game but also about day to day stuff irl.
      im flattered :) thanks! :heart:
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      what do you mean by studying poker? review your hands played during the day, or watch poker on tv or reading some books, or post in the forum? if you dedicate 6-7 hours a day on poker, you should have just this job? thanks
    • mariostoona
      mariostoona
      Bronze
      2-3 hours playing poker and 2-3 hours per day study(books,hand analysis,videos e.t.c) if you are working or going to school.Else spend more time if possible.

Its a road with ups and downs man...
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      it is few months that I am playing poker 4-5 hours a day, minimum, as i am also looking for a new job... I did not read so much about poker, just practice. I have to say that it is very hard to make money.. it is pretty much even my account, I win and than i lose ... how much do you play every day? :s_o:
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      i started playing a year ago, deposited 10bucks on PS, played some .01/02 and were mainly breakeven, lost a bit, moved to Sng, made some profit but nothing outstanding, was mainly breakeven for almost the whole year with profit of about 200 ... Last couple of months, I decided to study the game, play my A game all the time and profit stands at over 2,4K, yes you can make money....
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      so basically I have a similar situation..it is one year more or less that I play...but with up and downs not so much earnings... when did it change for you? did you read books or just online? what do you study in particular? thanks
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      dear cekpirus88, Guys :)

Yes, you can make money. Moreover, when you're already a good poker player you're not afraid of variance and downswings.

The reason why you don't know that yet is that you haven't yet studied and learnt the game enough. Please, use our hand evaluations forums, watch the video, makes notes and work hard.

The success will come, but you must be able to beat the opponents you're playing against.

If you want an example, I've been travelling around the world playing poker and have been beating the games for a lot of time already.

Cheers,
      Michal
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      it is a moment where I am looking for a profitable job. Just finished the Uni and looking for a job, and I really love playing and poker.. can poker substitute at all a profession? or it can be profitable as second job? thanks :f_p:
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Originally posted by cekpirus88
      it is a moment where I am looking for a profitable job. Just finished the Uni and looking for a job, and I really love playing and poker.. can poker substitute at all a profession? or it can be profitable as second job? thanks :f_p:
      hi again cekpirus88,

First, you need to learn to play good. When you're playing good it might be the only thing you do. Easily.

cheers,
      Michal
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cekpirus88
      if you finished uni, you should find a regular job related to what you have studied. Take poker as you 2nd fun job and once you will be able to beat the game enough, you can start you full-time poker carrier...
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Hey I've got a real job, and a wife, and a kid, and a dog to walk twice a day, and volunteer with a community organization. :O I'm lucky to get an hour in a day 3-4 days a week! I can't even ask if this could be my job... how about : could this be an enjoyable past time where I can have fun and exercise my mind a bit? A few extra dollars wouldn't hurt too!

I know there are a lot of full time pro's out there, but too many people got there head in the clouds when it comes to being a full time pro with this game. Work hard at your game, but know that very few people are going to make a full time life that is prosperous out of this... just like rock stars and pro atheletes. Awesome if it happens, but people should have some other options too...

:heart:
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thepowerplay
      Hey I've got a real job, and a wife, and a kid, and a dog to walk twice a day, and volunteer with a community organization. :O I'm lucky to get an hour in a day 3-4 days a week! I can't even ask if this could be my job... how about : could this be an enjoyable past time where I can have fun and exercise my mind a bit? A few extra dollars wouldn't hurt too!

I know there are a lot of full time pro's out there, but too many people got there head in the clouds when it comes to being a full time pro with this game. Work hard at your game, but know that very few people are going to make a full time life that is prosperous out of this... just like rock stars and pro atheletes. Awesome if it happens, but people should have some other options too...

:heart:
      I think it's as "simple" as: your results are directly proportionate to the time and effort you put into it.

Can you put no time and effort and be a winner? I think not.

If you put medium time and effort, you can probably be a mediocre player, win a bit of coffee money on micro limits or maybe break even on small limits.

You mentioned athletes; yes, some people ride 8 hours a day and race the Tour de France. Not everyone can put that effort, and in fact only a few are willing to; yes, people have other options. Riding in a park on weekends is a nice option to have fun. What you can't do is ride your beach cruiser in the park on weekends then expect to win a race.

If you are playing for fun, play for fun and winning might be a good part of it eventually. If you are playing to win... well, you have to put the time and effort to win.

That said, limits like NL2 are preeeetty beatable without much time and with a small effort. What happens is the learning curve in the start is steep (like any other thing you learn), so you can turn from massive loser to ok winner at NL2 in a matter of a few weeks, once you get some "clicks" in your game.

But if you only have 4 hours a week, and you want to improve, I think it *is* possible. Just don't play 4 hours a week. Study 2, play 2, at most. If you want to improve your game it's pointless to keep playing with all your misconceptions (and we all have them). But keep in mind your development will be much slower than 7 times slower than a player willing to put 4 hours a day. And many out there put many more.