[NL2-NL10] Interesting questions from 02/06 SSS Adv. Coaching

• xarry2
      Since I had to do yesterday’s coaching on another computer without poker software there will be no interesting sample hands. Instead I will deal with our strategy when our preflopraise gets reraised.

There are often questions about how to react after being reraised. I will now give you a sample hand where I present an easy scheme whether to push or fold.

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      

1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T:heart: , T:diamond:
      UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to $8.00, 2 folds, CO raises to $24.00 , 3 folds, Hero ?

The basic strategy tells to take a look at our stack:raise ratio and then push according to the starting hands chart. So we now have 3.625:1. We should push now since TT can be pushed profitable up to 4:1.

A good rule of thumb for beginners and mediocre players. But not more.
      Instead I want to present a method which is very accurate and allows us to consider individual reads or playerstyles, too. (which is the biggest lack of the basic strategy)

Postflop we play draws according to odds and outs. We can do exactly the same for our preflop play and thus we can make "perfect" decisions.

What is in the pot?

Our raise and the reraise (equals our own stack since it will come to an all-in anyway if we push) and the blinds. However I also consider the rake and on NL 200 the rake equals 3$ so we can omit the blinds.

Pot: 8$ + 37$
      Amount to call: 29$

This gives us pot odds of: 1.55:1.
      In order to call/push profitable we thus need at least 39.2% Equity (1.55+1)^-1

Thats the perfect strategy. Of course we won't have time to calculate the exact pot odds every time we get reraised. But we still can use the raise : stack ratio (itself is based on pot odds btw) and calculate the needed equity for different ratios:

5:1 = 41.7%
      (calculation: stack before raise: 48$ so pot odds of 8+48/40 = 1.4:1)

4:1 = 40%

3.5:1 = 38,9%

3:1 = 37.5%

2.5:1 = 35.7%

2:1 = 33.3%

So we can easily determine the break even equity we need in order to call/push a reraise according to our raise : stack ratio.

But unfortunately we still have a problem, maybe the biggest of all:
      What is the range of the reraiser? Without it we can't determine our equity.
      There we have to make estimations but PT and PA help us here. According to the PFR score (and best according to the player style which is portrayed through all PA values together with individual reads and maybe history) we can put our opponent on a certain range.

As a conclusion I want to examine this with 2 different and quite common reraising ranges:

a) TT vs. JJ+, AK

Our equity is 33.7%. So we will have to fold. This range is typical for tight-semi-passive players or shortstack strategy players.

b) TT vs. TT+, AQ

our equity is 40.3%. So we have a marginal call with about 1% edge. This range is typical for TAGs.
      (you see why only playing according to rigid rules doesn't always guarantee profit. we would have called against both ranges with the basci strategy)

Of course the reraising range always depends on the our and on the reraiser's position. There will be big differences!

To put opponents on accurate ranges in different specific situations is a big challenge of advanced preflop SSS!

I have made a provisional chart which compares our most frequent starting hands with different ranges. I think its very useful. But I'm working on a new one and keep in mind that the break even equity can change depending on the limit you play. On NL 400+ you can even get looser since the blinds overcompensate the rake. On the other hand you have to be a bit tighter on NL 100 and lower. (you can change the values listed in the chart for the current limit you play, just determine the average rake and discount it from the total pot which equals raise plus reraise and blinds)

• 7 replies
    • xylere
      great job ! how to you determine opponents PFR from his position? (if for simplicity we exclude possibility of moves that could affect his range, like squeeze, etc.)
    • xarry2
      well, if I play bigstack the reraiser will definitely take a look at his own position before he makes a reraise. Especially if he is OOP (or in early) he will have a tighter range. On the other hand he can have a looser range if he reraises me from CO or BU.
      I don't know how far this is true if the initial raiser is a shortstack. So most important is our position.

As i mentioned before, I prefer to take a look at the stats I have from my opponent, then consider my position and maybe some other reads.
      Then I estimate his reraising range.
      Against unknown or semi-passive players I often take JJ+, AK or if a TAG reraises an UTGR from me.
      Against TAGs and semi aggressive players I often take TT+, AQ if I raised from MP1 or MP2.
      Starting with MP3 players often defend/reraise my raises with very different ranges since we are in a blind steal situation. Then I consider my own ATS and the fold to BB value as well as the hands i've seen my opponent reraising with in a steal situation.
      If we raise from UTG or early/middle MP we will therefore mostly be confronted with JJ+, AK or TT+, AQ+. The third range in my chart is seldomly realistic in non-steal situations. Only against maniacs oer LAGs we can assume a looser range.
      As well there are also some players who only reraise QQ+ or even tighter. But there you always need individual reads.

Thats why I don't like the rule of thumb that a reraiser reraises with about 1/3 of his PFR. (its only another simplification whereas my goal is to erase these for more accurracy)
    • xylere
      I also don`t like 1/3 rule, that`s why i asked. thanks, I`ll keep it in mind.
    • Dominik7
      The download link doesn't work any more.

Could you please fix it?

Thx :) :)
    • veriz

Nice work!

Best regards,
    • xarry2
      Link updated :)
    • Tim64
      Yeah, this post, the chart and your silver video on prefold equity are all really helpful.

Thanks for all your effort!