continuation bet, sometimes is useless for me

• cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      hi i try to describe 3 cases in which, for me, continuation bet could be useful or not. I d like to know also your opinion.
      1) You hold A :heart: Q :heart: and you are in MP1 as the chart advise you raise, you have 3200 chips and the blinds are 150/300 so you make 800 because you do not want to commit all the chips with the hand, that sometimes it is not so strong. and you have still left 2400.
      there are 2 callers one in MP3 and one on the button.
      The board is J :diamond: 8 :diamond: 3 :heart: , so you have missed totally both the flush and the pairs. Many people would bet here for the continuation bet but it is wrong for me, because you have almost to commit all your stack and if someone hit a set or have a pair of J, will easily put you all inn. If you check and they both check maybe you have a possibility to hit an ace or queen on the turn, or maybe another :heart: .

2) you hold T :heart: T :diamond: and you are in MP1 as the chart advise you raise, you have 3200 chips and the blinds are 150/300 so you make 800 because you do not want to commit all the chips with the hand becuase maybe someone later can hold pocket Jacks or queens and reraise you all inn, and you have still left 2400.

The board is quite safe, just an over card,
      J :club: 8 :diamond: 2 :spade:
      here I agree that the continuation bet is advisable you, have a pair, and there not so many chances that they hold a J. so you bet like 500 to see what they do. I think it is not important how much you bet because if they will fold or call anyway no matter how much you bet. Sometimes online I have seen that if you raise before the flop and there is an over card, against one or 2 opponents if you make a small bet they will fold if you do not hold this card.

3) again you hold T :heart: T :diamond: and you are in MP1 as the chart advise you raise, you have 3200 chips and the blinds are 150/300 so you make 800 because you do not want to commit all the chips with the hand becuase maybe someone later can hold pocket Jacks or queens and reraise you all inn, and you have still left 2400.

the board is even better than the 2nd case, because you hold the top pair, in fact the board is
      8 :heart: 5 :heart: 2 :diamond: , here I think is the only case that you can try to push directly all inn as there are no over cards and quite a safe board, if someone holds A :spade: 8 :diamond: they can pay you off thinking that they hold the best hand.

how do you play in these 3 situations?
  • 4 replies
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      dear cekpirus88 :heart: ,

Originally posted by cekpirus88
      hi i try to describe 3 cases in which, for me, continuation bet could be useful or not. I d like to know also your opinion.
      1) You hold A :heart: Q :heart: and you are in MP1 as the chart advise you raise, you have 3200 chips and the blinds are 150/300 so you make 800 because you do not want to commit all the chips with the hand, that sometimes it is not so strong. and you have still left 2400.
      The board is J :diamond: 8 :diamond: 3 :heart: , so you have missed totally both the flush and the pairs. Many people would bet here for the continuation bet but it is wrong for me, because you have almost to commit all your stack and if someone hit a set or have a pair of J, will easily put you all inn. If you check and they both check maybe you have a possibility to hit an ace or queen on the turn, or maybe another :heart: .

Given the blinds and stack size, you should go allin preflop or raise higher pre to be allin on every flop. Were you 100BB deep, cf line is okay, because the board is easy to float IP vs your opening range. Even though you have blocker to nut flush draw, playing an aggressive line vs a good opponent OOP will prolly be -EV.

2) you hold T :heart: T :diamond: and you are in MP1 as the chart advise you raise, you have 3200 chips and the blinds are 150/300 so you make 800 because you do not want to commit all the chips with the hand becuase maybe someone later can hold pocket Jacks or queens and reraise you all inn, and you have still left 2400.

The board is quite safe, just an over card,
      J :club: 8 :diamond: 2 :spade:
      here I agree that the continuation bet is advisable you, have a pair, and there not so many chances that they hold a J. so you bet like 500 to see what they do. I think it is not important how much you bet because if they will fold or call anyway no matter how much you bet. Sometimes online I have seen that if you raise before the flop and there is an over card, against one or 2 opponents if you make a small bet they will fold if you do not hold this card.
      The same thing applies.

3) again you hold T :heart: T :diamond: and you are in MP1 as the chart advise you raise, you have 3200 chips and the blinds are 150/300 so you make 800 because you do not want to commit all the chips with the hand becuase maybe someone later can hold pocket Jacks or queens and reraise you all inn, and you have still left 2400.

the board is even better than the 2nd case, because you hold the top pair, in fact the board is
      8 :heart: 5 :heart: 2 :diamond: , here I think is the only case that you can try to push directly all inn as there are no over cards and quite a safe board, if someone holds A :spade: 8 :diamond: they can pay you off thinking that they hold the best hand.
      The same applies. Good to see you thinking about your villain's flop calling range before betting but you must also think in stack sizes and blind sizes. Your hands are really strong when you're short in the tournament.

Cheers :s_love: ,
      Michal
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      Read strategy article about push or fold stage.
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Gold
      jam pre!!!!!!!!!
    • Blade90
      Blade90
      Bronze
      Agreed, there is no way u can raise to 25 percent of ur stack and fold flop if u have AQs or TT, its an easy shove preflop.