SSS Strategy ??

• Dykiller
      Dykiller
      Bronze
      I am following the SSS strategy by the book. I am playing 3 tables at a time and I dont seem to be making profit.

Blind are eating me up rather quick.

In about 1 hour of play Ive seen KK 2 times, AJ in early position ( whichi I had to fold due to a raise), and 10.10.

Its hard to fold those KJ, A10

Any words of wisdom ?
  • 30 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      its fine, unless you expected to get rich playing 3 NL 10 tables)
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      When you say the blinds are eating you up, are you playing tables with less than 8 people? If so make sure that there is always atleast 8 people at your table.
      Otherwise just wait sometimes you just dont get the cards, but the strategy is based on the odds and an hour I dont think is enough time to give up, keep at it. In the long run you will make money.

I know sometimes after an hour i lose money playing SSS and other times i can make 10-15 dollars(0.05/0.10) in half hour.

Just keep at it, you will make money at it and one of the most important things you learn with the SSS is alot of patience.
    • Dykiller
      Dykiller
      Bronze
      Ok thank you.

Ya, by <making money> , I was trying to say, Make profit.

I just want to raise my bankroll first.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello Dykiller!

In order to play profitably make sure that you are following the guidelines for playing SSS as described in our articles. As phpps stated, this includes playing only at tables with atleast 8 other people at the table, and following the SHC. Through experience and re-reading of the strategy section the folding of KJ and AT will become easier, especially as you add more tables (since you're getting more playable hands on other tables).

All the best, and good luck,

SoyCD
    • carusel
      carusel
      Bronze
      in early position you dont fold AJ due to a raise, you fold it no matter what if you are playing SSS by the book as you said

as for A10, KJ you never play them, unless you get a free play in the big blind, and you have to fold them if you dont hit good on the flop

words of wizdom: play more, and never deviate from the starting hands chart, especially if you have no clue about the game
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      ManniX's words of wisdom: Be Patient and steal where you can.
    • OmiKell
      OmiKell
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dykiller
      I am following the SSS strategy by the book. I am playing 3 tables at a time and I dont seem to be making profit.

Blind are eating me up rather quick.

In about 1 hour of play Ive seen KK 2 times, AJ in early position ( whichi I had to fold due to a raise), and 10.10.

Its hard to fold those KJ, A10

Any words of wisdom ?

It takes 20 hands max to spot a guy sticking to the SSS rules. You can't make money taking your decisions like a bot.

Indeed, the SSS will help you maintain your bankroll and measure the appropriate risks of your decisions, but if you want to make money: you will have to change gears and sometimes bluff.

I follow the SSS rules, but that does NOT mean I won't raise 4BB on a 64o in early position when I feel that my table friends are getting overtight and will offer me easy blinds.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      @OmiKell
      sorry, but you just don't know what you are talking about)
      at least, you simply don`t have implied odds for moves like that.
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Omikell the new blackmagents? :D

xylere is totally right playing 64o from EP is suicide, you will be behind 100% preflop and most of the time postflop, it's those kind of plays that make SSS players money...
    • OmiKell
      OmiKell
      Bronze
      Hehe, big risk aversion down here he? :D

Yeah, sometimes I go for a trash hand, and so far I'm doing all right. I'm for 80% and 20% of Human X Factor.
    • OmiKell
      OmiKell
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      @OmiKell
      sorry, but you just don't know what you are talking about)
      at least, you simply don`t have implied odds for moves like that.
      Come'n Xylere, do you tell me now that you're sticking 100% to the SSS rules, no exception, no imagination,etc.
    • Marivs
      Marivs
      Bronze
      I'm sure everyone has their own variation of SSS or a so called "move" (i.e. a favorite hand you play every time you get it no matter what, a 4x BB raise every second or seventh round from UTG even with 72o, limping suited aces because you simply know you will hit your flush, check-raising with rags,...)
      And in one way it's even good that you try to play your way from time to time (not often!!!) because mistakes that cost you money are the best experience you can get in poker. And so you get more experienced and in time you are able to evolve in to a solid player, unless you are stuborn and just won't learn from your own mistakes (and mistakes from others), than maybe poker just isn't the thing for you.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      well :) Marivs, the first part of your post simply don`t make any sense. Again, you just don`t understand the concept of it.

And in one way it's even good that you try to play your way from time to time (not often!!!) because mistakes that cost you money are the best experience you can get in poker. And so you get more experienced and in time you are able to evolve in to a solid player, unless you are stuborn and just won't learn from your own mistakes (and mistakes from others), than maybe poker just isn't the thing for you.

I see it a little bit differently) In my opinion, one should start with 100% basic SSS , simply because it is the fastest and the most effective way to climb low limits. Meanwhile, one should work on his multi tabling skills, leaks finding and fixing and studying equity and pot equity. Then, when you reach higher limits, you can use statistics and your accumulated knowledge to deviate from basic strategy and make equity adjusted moves.

Pokerstrategy offers great opportunities to study the game. I recommend you to take advantage of it.
    • OmiKell
      OmiKell
      Bronze

I see it a little bit differently) In my opinion, one should start with 100% basic SSS , simply because it is the fastest and the most effective way to climb low limits. Meanwhile, one should work on his multi tabling skills, leaks finding and fixing and studying equity and pot equity. Then, when you reach higher limits, you can use statistics and your accumulated knowledge to deviated from basic strategy and make equity adjusted moves.

Pokerstrategy offers great opportunities to study the game. I recommend you to take advantage of it.

I'm the first to praise PokerStrategy's help on one's learning curve, but you make it sound like a sect.

Poker is indeed about knowledge, but also about guts, risk management and imagination. You can't simplify everything to a set of mathematical rules.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      lol)) I didn`t want to make it sound like a sect)
      anyway, what you need to climb the limits are self-discipline, dedication and enough intelligence to absorb what PS.com offers. nothing to do with guts and imagination))

no matter what poker is about, eventually, it devides players into two categories - winners and losers.
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      I'm the first to praise PokerStrategy's help on one's learning curve, but you make it sound like a sect.

Poker is indeed about knowledge, but also about guts, risk management and imagination. You can't simplify everything to a set of mathematical rules.[/quote]Where is the risk management in playing 64o from EP? Try and find the article by me called "advanced SSS" in this forum under "Cash Games" and Xylere's comments will make you profitbale :)
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      first bit supposed to be deleted. PokerStrat ain't no sect :D
    • Marivs
      Marivs
      Bronze
      I agree completly with you xylere!
      I didn't mean to encourage begginers to play how they think is the best way, I just wanted to say that deviating from SSS with not so smart moves isn't "+EV" and the best way for them (us?) to learn that is by paying for the mistakes and wrongful ideas.

And OmiKell, you are right too about guts, risk management,... just that these don't really come in to play on the micro limits and with a short stack on the table. Sure, you can fool another member of PS with your raises, but a fish that doesn't understand what a raise from early position specially from a "shorty" means, will call you with AXs or KJ or something because those cards look strong and because he can loose just a small amount of money and you will loose with your rags
    • Petrificus
      Petrificus
      Bronze
      What do you suggest if you recognize, that more than the half of the people on a table are playing SSS after PS? (That's what just happend to me playing SSS myself)
      I just switched the table after stealing blinds to recollect my blinds.
      Actually it would be easy to just bluff them out everytime, and if they raise just to fold.
      The game wasn't very interesting by the way... ;-)