This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

factorIR’s blog

• factorIR
      factorIR
      Bronze
      I am 25 years old guy from Slovenia. I study economics and hope I will finish my studies in a year or two. For now this is my main occupation. Yes I know very well that I was a bit lazy. I have two real passions: playing poker and computer programming.

My first touch with poker was probably about three and a half years ago. I was bored and was watching TV, switching between channels like crazy. Then I notice interesting unfamiliar sport on Eurosport channel. I was watching for a few minutes and then I figured out that poker is going on(I don’t remember which tournament it was but I remember that I saw Dan Harrington playing). It seemed very interesting and I logged on to the Internet to find some more information. After searching for a while I found Poker Stars. I played there a bit for play money for a month or two.

Few months later I found that in Ljubljana is local poker club. Once a week there was a low cash game running manly for presentation purposes. Buy in was 2500SIT (this was before we’ve got Euro and is about 10EUR). It was a limit game and I was beating it playing my nit style at that time. They were also offering small bonus when depositing to Party Poker. So I deposit 50$ and get 25$ bonus. At that time lowest game on Party was 0.5/1 limit Hold’em. I was of course very uderrolled. I lost all of it very quickly due to variance and lack of knowledge. At that time I noticed that poker is serious game and it is not just about gambling. I studied some literature and get familiar with basic concepts of the game. Then for a year or two I didn’t play a hand on the Internet. I presented poker to my friends and we were playing some micro limit home games. It was a limit Hold’em night once or two times a month. With my knowledge I was beating these games lightly. I was also playing some student 5EUR buy-in tournaments with practical prizes (there were around 35 – 50 players each time). In one of them, after my KK get cracked by A9, I finished 3rd and get 100 chip set as a prize. But I wasn’t paying a lot of attention to poker beside these home game and tournaments.

There weren’t a lot of interest for poker among my friends and home games became very rare. So I decided to deposit again on Party last year. I started to play limit Hold’em with 100$, this time appropriately rolled, because there were also micro limit games. I didn’t have much success. Then I notice that a lot of players are playing no-limit. It seemed interesting so I start searching Internet for resources on NL. I came across 2+2 forums and start reading them. I spent a lot of hours doing that and first success was here. I was beating 5NL and 10NL. Than it happened: I wanted to make some quick money and started to play SNG’s and lost a big portion of my bankroll. I also place sport bet on basketball match Slovenia vs Greece, Quarter final of Eurobasket 2007. We lost after amazing turnover so as my bankroll did. I was left with 50$.

I had to much time (I was trying to study) in December 2007 and January 2008. I had strange feeling that I was missing something. Of course it was poker. I decided to get serious one more time. I was playing 5NL again on Party starting with 50$. I made it to about 150$ or so when I came across PokerStrategy. This site is getting more and more popular here in Slovenia I think. I find short stack strategy very interesting and started to play according to it. I made it from 150$ to 500$ or so in January playing NL25 and NL50 SSS. Then again I started to play big stack. I hit upswing and made some profit to around 600 or so. There were a lot of short stacks at the full ring tables so I decided to move on short handed game. I made it to 770$ and then downswing hit me and I had 400$. It was probably caused by my bad play at those SH tables. Then I decided to stick 100% to SSS. I was playing purely 50NL SSS this month. Two days ago my bankroll was around 800$, so I decided to take shoot at NL100. It was great at first. But yesterday I hit 14 buy in downswing. I lost some incredible hands. I also am not entirely tilt prone. So I tilted away one or two buy ins. Now my bankroll is at 600$ and I am playing 50NL again determined to stick to SSS 100%.

I am still a bronze member. I received my starting capital from PS at Titan poker. But I really can’t multi-table there. I am planning to move some of my bankroll to Poker Stars and register account with PS to gain my status and help Poker Strategy with portion of my rake. I hope it will be very big soon.

I am really glad that I came across Poker Strategy. It helps my game a lot. Thank you PS staff and all other posters.

I will write more about my achievements playing short stack strategy in next post.
  • 2 replies