[NL2-NL10] SH NL2 Johny All-in and me

• animagne
      Johny's a one trick ponny, but it's a good trick: all-in!

-Dan Harrington, "Harrington on Online Cash Games"

The short version is : I don't like posting microstakes hands as there is nothing to gain for me and analysis was done long time (few days) ago, but homework requires it so here we go.

The longer story: the definitions of player types in pokerstrategy.com lack a one well established archetype : All-in Johnny (at least Harrington gave him that name) : a player who raises preflop only to all-in (and sometimes, like in this case also limps from time to time preflop). A simple strategy to counter it was suggested to call with ATs+, AJo+, 66+, if his range is A8o+, Axs, 22+ (or ~15%), when his raise is ~50BB and there is 4.5BB in pot (he recommeds raising 3BB, but that's another story, and I'm still thinking whether it would be better for SH).

The hero's story on hand however is:

NL Holdem $0.02(BB)
      Hero ($2.30)
      BB ($1.26)

UTG ($2.15)
      UTG+1 ($2.87)
      CO ($1.79)
      BTN ($5.73)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: K:spade:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.06, Hero raises to $0.18, BB raises to $1.26 (AI), fold, Hero ???

To explain more on the situation : BTN usually raises 4bb from other positions and this was obvious resteal situation for me. BB's stats were ~30/10 through 30 hands and all 3 times he shoved. This isn't big enough sample to put him on exact range, but:

My pot equity calling is 41.86%

Against 10% range (77+,A9s+,KTs+,QTs+,AJo+,KQo) my equity is 39.4%

Against 15% balanced range (77+,A7s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KTo+,QJo) my equity is 46.21%

Against 15% ace/pp based range (22+, A2s+, A8o+) my equity is 38.78%

How exactly should I put enemies like him on a range and calculate my equity, when it's impossible to get more extensive sample size, due to the nature most of these players play. (well obviously KQo was a mistake, but only analysing it, I realised how close that spot was)

If anyone cares, he had AA and floped full house, but the decision, in my opinion, should be based against their range and not specific hands when playing with this type of players.
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      Hello animagne,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

The problem in this spot is that we can't really put the opponent on a very weak range unless we know him. As you see our line is also very strong and which means BB is shoving into us even stronger range. For me it's rather a standard fold, we ain't even flipping here. In long run rather loosing money.

Best regards.
    • philhellmutt
      I enjoyed Harrington's book, good read.

I was gonna ask if he's the type of Johnny All-In who shoves with weaker hands but raises AA/KK normally. Then I saw your spoiler so that rules out this player type... ;)

I'm not 100% sure if this particular villain totally fits this Johnny All-In stereotype however. I definitely understand what you're saying, but it's also difficult to draw conclusions without seeing what type of hands he was making these moves with. For all we know he might only be doing this with premium hands, likely stronger than KQ.

There's a guy I've played over 400 hands with, and I saw him do 3 or 4 similar all-in moves (sometimes open-shoving 250BB!) in the first 50 or so hands and I was wondering what he's shoving with. It took a few hundred hands for me to finally see a showdown, and it was KK... I've only seen AA and KK in my notes.

Maybe in the 3 previous all-in moves he really did have a strong hand like QQ+ or AQ+. If we've seen him doing it with A9, KJ or whatever, then you're certainly okay to call here.

However, as Veriz mentioned a 4-bet shove is totally different to 3-betting all-in.