[NL2-NL10] NL4 KK vs A4s protecting my hand?

• CaptLoeff
      CaptLoeff
      Bronze
      Hi,

Here's a hand I played recently on the IPoker network. I was trying to protect a premium hand that was vulnerable to a flush and a wheel draw. Did I inadvertently give my opponent the odds to call me; or did he make a -EV play?

SB - $3
      BB - $7
      UTG1 - $2
      UTG2 - $3
      MP1 (me) - $5
      MP2 - $1
      Highjack - $2
      CO - $4
      BU - $1

Preflop: everyone fold to me in MP1 and I have Ks Kd. I raise to $0.16. The HJ and the CU call. The BU and SB fold and the BB calls.

Flop: 5h Th 3d: BB checks and I know that with a potential flush draw and wheel draw, I need to protect my hand and allow my opponent(s) to make a mistake by calling. I bet $0.40. the HJ calls and everyone else folds.

Turn: 2d: Now I'm even more concerned about an A4s, or a flush draw. I plan to bet and fold if my opponent raises. I bet $1.10 and my opponent snap calls.

River: 7s: The river card is a blank and I'm thinking that I have the best hand. It's possible that my opponent made a wheel on the turn, but he didn't re-raise so I'm not too concerned. I bet $1.10 which puts my opponent all in. He calls and turns over A4s (diamonds).

Should I have seen that coming and checked the turn? If I do check the turn in that situation, what if my opponent bets 1/2 the pot? Do I have the odds to call? It's a tough situation, because I know that I'm not likely to improve on the river.

I think that my opponent's loose (ish) call pre-flop let me to believe that he was on an KQ, KJ, K10 or even QJ. I didn't expect him to have A4s.

I invite your analysis and would be happy to discuss this with anyone out there who can help. Thanks.

CaptLoeff
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello CaptLoeff,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

First of all, don't you have any tracking software? Or hand history folders. With them you wouldn't need to write all the text. :)

Against his stack I guess I'd just ship it on turn while he may easily even Call us with draws/weaker pairs/PPs. Also nope I wouldn't Check the turn, we still need to protect.

Best regards.
    • CaptLoeff
      CaptLoeff
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz,

First of all, I don't have any tracking software. I use a Mac and until I purchase parallels so that I can run PC programs on my mac, I can't even download the software from the poker site where I play. I hope to get all that taken care of within the next few weeks. I'm going to get a program for Stats with a HUD as well as tracking software. Until then, I have to settle for pulling my hands off of PTR and typing them out into the forum.

Secondly, are you saying that I should have been more aggressive due to his stack size? I'm not sure I understand the logic. Can you explain?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Oh that's sad about the software. Ain't there any software for mac?

Yes, you could be more aggressive against his stack. Since we would be anyways pretty much committed on river while he doesn't have much left after our bet on turn.
    • CaptLoeff
      CaptLoeff
      Bronze
      Veriz,

There are several programs available for the Mac. I'm looking into them. I should have something within the next few weeks. The problem is that I haven't been able to find an equity calculator for mac. Only the stats with a HUD. I'll figure it out soon. Do you know any other players who use Mac? I would appreciate their advice!

Having KK against a A4s with flush and wheel draws where the flush gets there on the turn is a terrible situation. I hate being in a situation where protecting my hand is the correct play even though I've already lost. I feel like I'm throwing good money after bad at that point. Oh well. I guess that's poker.

I've recently finished reading Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book, Larry Phillips' Zen and the Art of Poker, and I've started Charlie Swayne's Swayne's Advanced Degree in Hold'em; and I'm becoming more and more persuaded that I need to take a very long term approach to poker. If I play correctly, I'll have a slight mathematical edge, and will make money in the long run.

I'm learning patience. I don't need to win big pots in order to be profitable. I just need to win small pots. In limit hold 'em, that only 1.5 - 2 big bets per hour. In fact, Charlie Swayne recommends learning poker games in the following order: Low Limit, High Limit, No-limit Cash, No-limit tournaments (turbo), and then finally No-limit tournaments (normal blind structure). He recommends that we don't even start to learn no-limit until we're consistently earning 1.5 big bets per hour in high limit ($30/$60 and up) games. What do you think about that?

It will take a long time to move up from the micro levels, but I'll be gaining a lot of valuable experience so I'm actually better off by taking my time and being patient.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Unfortunately I don't know any players. :( Might just try to post into General Discussion or somewhere. I am pretty sure you will find some.

Equity calculators you can find on websites, ain't ya? :) For example even this one: http://propokertools.com/simulations

Oh well, I don't agree with the thoughts about starting with whatsoever other games. There are a lot of players who started with BSS and are earning enough of money for living. What with them then? :> Play the game whatever suits for you, not read some book and follow the advices. Everyone has to find their own path.