Isolation raise Vs. Squeeze play

• CaptLoeff
      CaptLoeff
      Bronze
      What's the difference between an Isolation raise from the BU and a Squeeze play from the same position?

I know that with an isolation raise, I'm trying to isolate all but one player to get heads up; and with the squeeze play, I'm trying to take down the pot right then and there. What I'm trying to find out is: how is the act of raising to isolate different than the act of raising for the purpose of taking down the pot. Do we raise by different amounts depending upon our purpose? Is there no difference between the two other than my intentions?

Thanks,
      CaptLoeff
  • 6 replies
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      squeez=when there is a raise and a call, and you reraise
      isoraise, when there is a limp, you raise
      iso3bet, when there is a raise and you try to isolate to be HU
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      It's also a squeeze when there are a bunch of limpers and you raise to take down the pot preflop. I believe.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      A squeeze play is basically any situation where you are making a pre-flop 3bet or raise over limpers as an attempt to take down the pot then and there, as opposed to a value-raise or an isolation raise where you want further action and/or to see a flop.
    • CaptLoeff
      CaptLoeff
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone. Just to be sure that I understand...

They are different plays based upon my intentions, but they could have the same result. For example, If I'm on the BU and I raise 5 limpers with the intention of taking down the pot (squeeze play), but I get 1 caller, it was a squeeze play that looks like an isolation raise. Or, if I raise in that same situation hoping to get heads up (isolation raise), but everyone folds, my isolation raise becomes a squeeze play?

That's very strange. Let me know if I'm way off base here!

Thanks,
      CaptLoeff
    • Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      I don't think the two can ever be the same. As said above, a squeeze is when you have a raise then a call, whereas an isolation play is when you raise a single limper or single caller. I think its the amount of players in the pot thats important. One its an isolation raise (but only if you want to see a flop), more than one and its a squeeze, though calling it a squeeze suggests you're bluffing and trying to take it down pre-flop.

Wow this is confusing :P
    • CaptLoeff
      CaptLoeff
      Bronze
      It IS a little confusing. Thanks for your help Scooney.